Secretary Job Description
The secretary job description provides a list of the key tasks, duties and responsibilities associated with the secretarial job.
The secretary role will vary depending on the sector, the size of the
employer and the level of the job. However almost all secretarial jobs
will involve an element of each of these listed typical work tasks and duties and will demand
core secretarial competencies and skills.
Adapt the sample secretarial job description to meet the requirements of the job you are specifying.
SECRETARY JOB DESCRIPTION
Provide personal administrative support to management and the company through conducting and organizing administrative duties and activities including receiving and handling information.
Main Job Tasks, Duties and Responsibilities
- prepare and manage correspondence, reports and documents
- organize and coordinate meetings, conferences, travel arrangements
- take,type and distribute minutes of meetings
- implement and maintain office systems
- maintain schedules and calendars
- arrange and confirm appointments
- organize internal and external events
- handle incoming emails, mail and other material
- set up and maintain document management systems
- set up work procedures
- collate information
- maintain databases
- communicate verbally and in writing to answer inquiries and provide information
- liaison with internal and external contacts
- coordinate the flow of information both internally and externally
- operate office equipment
- manage office supplies
Education and Experience
- relevant training or qualification
- knowledge and experience of relevant software applications including spreadsheets and database management
- knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures
- knowledge of business principles
- proficient in spelling, punctuation, grammar and other English language skills
- proven experience of producing correspondence and documents
- proven experience in information and communication management
- required typing speed
- verbal and written communication skills
- attention to detail
- planning and organizing
- time management
- interpersonal skills
- customer-service orientation
- stress tolerance
Get help with writing your resume. Use the sample secretary resume to write a well-structured resume.
Prepare a winning cover letter using the sample secretary cover letter
What are the skills and qualities of a good secretary?
Employers have identified these top 5 skills as essential to secretarial job success.
- excellent communication skills including the ability to listen properly in order to clearly understand and to express oneself in a professional and effective manner. Good written communication skills include using appropriate grammar and vocabulary and organizing information in a clear format.
- work management skills including efficient planning and scheduling of work tasks and the ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- initiative and self-management including being proactive and solving problems without being asked
- accuracy and attention to detail including close checking and monitoring of all work tasks and processes
- commitment to maintaining confidentiality and adhering to company ethical norms
Secretary Job Description Pages
Executive Assistant Job Description
Administrative Assistant Job Description
Legal Secretary Job Description
School Secretary Job Description
Receptionist Job Description
Office Assistant Job Description
Secretary Sample Resume
Administrative Assistant Resume
Executive Assistant Resume
School Secretary Resume
Secretary Job Interviews
Secretarial Interview Questions
fundamental knowledge, skills and key competencies required will stay
constant for most secretary jobs. Use this secretary job description to
clearly understand the essential secretarial function.
Latest Update - Secretary Salary
Indeed.com reports the average salary for secretary job postings on the site in the United States is $15.00 per hour as of January 2020.
Job Interviews > Job Descriptions > Secretary
Use the search box to find exactly what you are looking for.
To Top of Page