Secretary Job Description
The secretary job description provides a list of the key tasks, activities and responsibilities associated with the secretarial job.
The secretary role will vary depending on the sector, the size of the
employer and the level of the job. However almost all secretarial jobs
will involve an element of each of these typical work tasks and demand
core secretary competencies.
Adapt the sample secretarial job description to meet the requirements of the job you are specifying.
Provide personal administrative support to management and the company through conducting and organizing administrative duties and activities including receiving and handling information.
Main Job Tasks and Responsibilities
- prepare and manage correspondence, reports and documents
- organize and coordinate meetings, conferences, travel arrangements
- take,type and distribute minutes of meetings
- implement and maintain office systems
- maintain schedules and calendars
- arrange and confirm appointments
- organize internal and external events
- handle incoming emails, mail and other material
- set up and maintain document management systems
- set up work procedures
- collate information
- maintain databases
- communicate verbally and in writing to answer inquiries and provide information
- liaison with internal and external contacts
- coordinate the flow of information both internally and externally
- operate office equipment
- manage office supplies
Education and Experience
- relevant training or qualification
- knowledge and experience of relevant software applications including spreadsheets and database management
- knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures
- knowledge of business principles
- proficient in spelling, punctuation, grammar and other English language skills
- proven experience of producing correspondence and documents
- proven experience in information and communication management
- required typing speed
- verbal and written communication skills
- attention to detail
- planning and organizing
- time management
- interpersonal skills
- customer-service orientation
- stress tolerance
Get help with writing your resume. Use the sample secretary resume to write a well-structured resume.
Prepare a winning cover letter using the sample secretary cover letter
Prepare for a job interview using the recommended interview guide at secretary interview questions
Related Job Descriptions
Executive Assistant Job Description
Administrative Assistant Job Description
Legal Secretary Job Description
Receptionist Job Description
Office Assistant Job Description
Secretary Sample Resume
Administrative Assistant Resume
Executive Assistant Resume
Secretarial Interview Questions
fundamental knowledge, skills and key competencies required will stay
constant for most secretary jobs. Use this secretary job description to
clearly understand the essential secretarial function.
Latest Update - Secretary Salary
Indeed.com reports the average salary for secretary job postings on the site in the United States is $14.00 per hour as of July 2018.
Job Interviews > Job Descriptions > Secretary
Use the search box to find exactly what you are looking for.
To Top of Page