The office assistant job description clearly and concisely lays out the duties and responsibilities for the office assistant job. Find out the competencies and skills needed for successful job performance in this position.
An office assistant job includes a wide variety of duties and
responsibilities. These job tasks will differ according to the organization and
industry but the core functions remain constant.
office assistant activities and requirements that reflect the position you are specifying and create a comprehensive job
OFFICE ASSISTANT JOB DESCRIPTION
Provides administrative, secretarial and clerical support to others in the office to maintain an efficient office environment.
Main Job Duties and Responsibilities
- answer phones and transfer to the appropriate staff member
- take and distribute accurate messages
- greet public and clients and direct them to the correct staff member
- coordinate messenger and courier service
- receive, sort and distribute incoming mail
- monitor incoming emails and answer or forward as required
- prepare outgoing mail for distribution
- fax, scan and copy documents
- maintain office filing and storage systems
- update and maintain databases such as mailing lists, contact lists and client information
- retrieve information when requested
- update and maintain internal staff contact lists
- co-ordinate and maintain staff administrative records such as staff parking, staff phones and company credit cards
- type documents, reports and correspondence
- organize travel arrangements for staff
- co-ordinate and organize appointments and meetings
- assist with event planning and implementation
- monitor and maintain office supplies
- ensure office equipment is properly maintained and serviced
- perform work related errands as requested such as going to the post office and bank
- keep office area clean and tidy
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- business college training an advantage
- previous office experience may be requested but this can also be entry level position
- competent computer skills including MS Office
- internet skills including use of e-mails, group messaging and data collection
- numeracy and literacy skills
Key Skills and Competencies
- organization and planning skills
- work management and prioritizing skills
- verbal and written communication skills
- problem solving ability
- attention to detail
Office Assistant Resumes
Do you want to create a winning resume? Use this office assistant job description to create an excellent resume.
Administrative Assistant Resume
Office Assistant Job Interviews
Preparing for a job interview? Use these excellent interview guides to be ready for your office assistant job interview.
Office Assistant Job Description Pages
Practical office administrative job descriptions and list of office duties.
Office Assistant Job Description Template
What skills do you need to be an excellent office assistant?
Employers who were asked this question came up with the following 5 key skills:
- solid computer skills and good working knowledge of MS Office
- excellent verbal and written communication skills
- ability to efficiently plan, organize and prioritize activities
- attention to detail and accuracy
- the ability to quickly adapt to changing demands and situations
Is an office assistant the same as an administrative assistant?
The two jobs will share certain duties and responsibilities but the administrative assistant job usually includes extra responsibilities and demands a more robust set of skills.
You can learn more about the differences between the two jobs at:
Admin Assistant Job Description
Latest Update - Office Assistant Salary
Salary.com reports that the average salary for Office Assistant jobs in the USA is $14.14 per hour as of September 2021.
To Top of Page