The Top 5
Skype Interview Tips
5 essential Skype interview tips that you should know.
Skype interviews are becoming common practice. They help recruiters and
companies to filter out candidates at an early stage and are inexpensive and
relatively easy to conduct.
Presenting yourself in the best manner during Skype interviews can be
tricky and you need to be well prepared. Find out how to make the right
impression with these best practices for Skype interviews.
Top Skype interview tips to ace your interview
1. Check your equipment
- Check your Skype name - does it give the right impression? A professional sounding name is better than
a jokey or cool name. Create a new Skype account for interviews if you want
to keep your informal name for your friends.
- Download the latest version of Skype to
ensure you are getting the best quality performance.
- Basic Skype interview tips stress testing all your equipment thoroughly and not just 5 minutes before the call! Make sure your Skype connection is
working properly. Test your camera and microphone the day before the
- Ensure your internet connection is good
enough to handle the video call.
- Close all other programs and windows on
your computer before you take the call. Receiving email notifications during
your interview is unprofessional and distracting.
2. Create the right environment
- Ensure that where you conduct your
Skype interview is businesslike and free of distractions and interruptions.
A neat and tidy room where you can close the door is best.
- Let others in the house know that you
cannot be interrupted and to keep things quiet for you. Keep your windows
closed if there is a possibility of distracting outside noises such as pets.
- Check what your environment looks like.
If it is messy it can give the impression that you are a disorganized and
untidy person. Look at the wall behind you and remove any distracting
pictures or posters. Good Skype interview tips include keeping your surroundings as neutral as possible.
- Make sure your desk or table is
uncluttered and you are able to easily access your documents and a pen and
paper to take notes.
- A bright window or light behind you
means you will appear as a dark silhouette. Light from above or below can
create shadows on your face. Light should come from in front of you. Have
natural light or a lamp aimed at your face from behind your screen.
3. Practice with a mock interview
out a practice run with a friend really does help to make you feel more
comfortable and confident. Candidates can feel very self-conscious
during this type of interview.
can record the Skype interview and study how you come across and where
you can improve. Ask for feedback on your performance.
This mock interview is a great way to
test your interview skills.
4. What to wear for a Skype interview
- The first impression you make
during your Skype interview is key to setting the tone. Find out the dress code the company expects by doing some
research beforehand. Make sure you dress appropriately and your Skype interview outfit is smart
- It's tempting to wear sloppy
sweatpants or short pants but it's far better to dress properly from
head to toe. There are a number of instances where candidates have had
to stand up to adjust equipment and have been caught out! Important Skype interview tips include dressing as
though you were having a face to face interview. This creates the right
mindset and improves your performance.
- Check your interview clothing is
clean, properly pressed, has no buttons missing or tears or stains.
- Candidates often ask "What is the best color to wear for a Skype interview?" Stripes, patterns and bright
designs can make your clothing appear messy on the interviewer's screen.
Keep it simple. Neutral, solid colors such as blues and greys look best
- Avoid glittery or jangling jewelry
that distracts the interviewer.
- You will be seen in detailed
close-up so make sure your makeup is properly applied and your hair is
clean and tidy. Choose a hairstyle that is off your face, constantly
adjusting your hair is distracting. Understated
makeup looks better on the screen than bright colors. Men should ensure
that they are cleanly shaven or have neatly trimmed facial hair.
5. Skype interview tips for communication
- Look at your body language in your mock
interview and check you are sending the right non-verbal signals. Good
eye-contact, an upright posture, a sincere smile and using your hands
properly all contribute to the right impression.
- Don't allow your eyes to wander around
the room, keep focused and give the interviewer your full attention. Avoid
looking down at your interview answers on a piece of paper, practice these
beforehand so you are ready to respond in a natural and confident manner.
- Avoid focusing on the small image of
yourself in the corner of the screen, you will spend the interview looking at
yourself instead of the interviewer. You can use your settings to disable
this image and prevent this happening.
- Look into the camera and not into the
screen to make eye contact. If you look at your screen instead of the camera
you will appear to be looking down at the interviewer. If you are using a
laptop it may be better to elevate it on a couple of books so that the
camera is at eye-level.
- Check the tone and pace of your voice,
make sure you can be easily heard and understood. Speak clearly and
confidently. Avoid talking too fast but convey enthusiasm for the job by
showing energy in your voice.
- With some Skype connections there is a
slight transmission delay with the picture, be aware of this and pause to
make sure the interviewer has finished speaking before you answer.
- Make sure the connection is closed
before doing or saying something after the interview.
Communication skills interview questions
How should you greet the interviewer and introduce yourself in a Skype interview?
First impressions are key. Make those first few seconds of your Skype interview count by taking the following steps:
- make eye contact, lean slightly forward and and give a slow but confident nod as you greet the interviewer
- say "Good Morning/Afternoon" and you can add "It's nice to meet you"
- Use their surname, "Good Afternoon Mr Smith", unless you have already been in contact with them and used their first name.
- remember to smile when you greet them
The rule of thumb is to treat the Skype
interview as though you were in the same room as the interviewer. This will
ensure that you perform to the best of your ability.
Skype interview questions and answers
Be well prepared to answer typical Skype interview questions. Find these and sample interview answers at Online Interview Questions
What is a Zoom interview and how to prepare for it?
Zoom interviews are widely used by employers. What is a Zoom Interview and the secrets to Zoom interview success.
Find out the 9 essential tips for a Zoom interview and make sure you are well prepared for this type of job interview.
Skype Interview Thank You Email
To Top of Page