Administrative Assistant Duties
Administrative assistant duties will vary according to the environment and department in which the position is based.
The job specification for an admin assistant position is frequently open to interpretation, with a multitude of tasks falling within the ambit of this job.
We list the duties for administrative assistant jobs in specific working
environments. Select those administrative activities that apply to the
job you are describing.
The comprehensive administrative assistant job description provides a
generic list of all the duties and job requirements for this
This description provides an excellent base for understanding the role of an administrative assistant and can be found at administrative assistant job description.
The duties described below apply to administrative assistants in specific environments including sales, marketing, medical and human resources. These specialist admin assistant tasks can be combined with the duties of a general administrative assistant to get the full job description.
Front Desk Administrative Assistant
Sometimes referred to as Front Office Administrative Assistant. Duties will include general administrative support duties as well as these receptionist-type duties.
- answer incoming calls, determine purpose of call and transfer call
- take and deliver messages
- greet visitors
- monitor visitor access
- coordinate parking
- handle customers queries
- interact with visiting vendors
- provide ongoing customer service support
- receive, sort and distribute mail
- receive and process deliveries
- schedule appointments
- draft correspondence
- generate reports and other documents
- maintain front desk procedures including contact information, directions and frequently requested company information
Receptionist Job Description
Medical Administrative Assistant
Provides administrative support within a medical office or healthcare facility. In addition to general administrative duties, medical administrative assistant tasks include the following.
- schedule medical appointments
- organize patient flow
- respond to patient queries
- order and maintain clinical and office supplies
- verify accuracy of patient insurance information
- update and file patient's medical records
- prepare patient charts
- arrange for hospital admissions
- organize laboratory services
- assist with scheduling of tests
- send and receive patient medical records
- obtain lab reports and request medical records
- maintain a safe and hygienic office environment
Medical Office Manager Job Description
Medical Receptionist Job Description
Medical Receptionist Resume
Marketing Administrative Assistant
In addition to general administrative assistant duties this position supports the marketing function by performing the following duties.
- liaise with third parties to develop marketing and advertising materials and documents
- manage inventory of give-aways, promotional items and client gifts
- assist with coordinating marketing events
- assist with organizing special marketing projects such as new product launches
- prepare and coordinate customer mailings
- set up product promotions
- assemble marketing packages
- assist with tracking marketing activities
- prepare materials for marketing events
- update marketing communication platforms such as websites and social media
- assist with market research
- prepare presentations
- maintain library and archives of marketing material
Marketing Job Description
Sales Administrative Assistant
Administrative assistant duties in a sales environment include the following in addition to general office administrative support tasks.
- research and identify sales prospect opportunities
- forward leads to internal and external sales staff
- support sales rep inquiries
- schedule sales appointments
- make follow up customer calls
- help prepare and co-ordinate delivery of customer quotes
- assist with creating sales proposals
- liaise between field sales staff and internal staff
- assist with organizing sales events
- track performance data for sales team
- monitor sales reports
- process expense reports for sales staff
- verify orders
- maintain customer data base
- manage inventory of product samples and promotional items
Sales Job Descriptions
Human Resources Administrative Assistant
The role of administrative assistant in a Human Resources department includes these specific duties.
- assist with recruitment
- arrange job postings
- log and distribute resumes
- liaise with candidates
- schedule interviews
- coordinate pre-employment tests
- administer pre-employment background checks
- assemble new hire packets
- input employee data and maintain employee files
- organize new employee orientations
- coordinate training and development activities for employees
- assist with record keeping required by federal and state laws
- respond to employee inquiries about human resources issues
- assist with employee events such as long service awards
- monitor unemployment claims
- liaise with payroll and benefits regarding new employees and changes of employee status
Human Resources Job Description
Put together a convincing resume using the sample resume for administrative assistants
How to write an administrative assistant resume objective
Include a persuasive administrative assistant cover letter with your job application.
Entry Level Administrative Assistant Resume
Administrative Assistant Duties part 2
Preparing for a job interview? Go to administrative assistant interview questions with sample interview answers.
Job Interviews > Free Job Descriptions > Administrative Job Descriptions > Administrative Assistant Duties
Use the search box to find exactly what you are looking for.
To Top of Page