Legal Secretary Job Description
The legal secretary job description records the core tasks, activities and responsibilities associated with the legal secretary position.
Legal secretaries are employed in law offices, financial companies
and government offices. The position may vary from office to office but
the key duties of a legal secretary remain standard.
Provide secretarial and administrative support to legal professionals
Main Job Tasks, Duties and Responsibilities
- prepare and manage correspondence
- prepare and process standard legal documents including subpoenas, contracts, summonses, appeals, warrants and motions
- organize and coordinate legal meetings including client interviews, hearings and depositions
- maintain schedules and calendars including court diaries
- take, type and distribute minutes of meetings and interviews
- prepare forms including accident reports, courtroom requests and client applications
- proofread and edit legal documents
- set up and maintain databases and files
- document and maintain case details
- handle incoming mail and calls
- communicate verbally and in writing to answer inquiries and provide information
- organize delivery of legal correspondence to clients, witnesses and court officials
- conduct research and collate information relevant to cases
- arrange hearing dates
- file motions
- follow up on pending court cases
- maintain law libraries
- assist with billing
- implement and maintain office systems
Education and Experience
- relevant training or qualification
- knowledge and experience of relevant software applications
- processing, presentations and database management
- working knowledge of legal procedures and legal terminology
- knowledge of local, state and federal filing rules
- proficient in spelling, punctuation, grammar and other English language skills
- knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures
- transcription and typing skills
- verbal and written communication skills
- attention to detail
- planning and organizing
- information management
- judgment and decision-making
- customer-service orientation
- stress tolerance
Use the sample legal secretary resume to build a professional and persuasive resume.
Include a job-winning legal secretary cover letter with your job application.
Legal Secretary Job Description - recommended pages
Secretary Job Description
Legal Administrative Assistant Job Description
What is the difference between a legal secretary and a paralegal?
Paralegal Job Description
Legal secretary interview questions
Secretary Interview Questions
Paralegal Interview Questions
Latest Update - Legal Secretary Average Salary
to Indeed.com the average salary for US-based job postings for an experienced Legal
Secretary on the site is $46,000 per year as of March 2019.
Job Interviews > Job Descriptions > Legal Secretary
Use the search box to find exactly what you are looking for.
To Top of Page