9 Essential Paralegal Interview Questions
Typical paralegal interview questions with excellent sample interview answers.
Paralegals are found in many types of organizations including law firms, corporate legal departments and government offices.
Paralegals and legal assistants work in many different areas of the law
including corporate law, criminal law, labor law, family law, real
estate and litigation.
Paralegal interview questions and answers
These interview questions explore the core competencies required by a
successful paralegal regardless of the area of specialization.
1. What are the most important skills for a paralegal?
In your paralegal interview answer include the following paralegal skills:
- organization and planning
- research and analytical skills
- writing skills
- judgment and decision-making skills
- attention to detail
- strong communication skills
- patience and perseverance
- confidentiality and sensitivity
2. What tools and methods do you use for the day to day organization and planning of your work?
Describe the systems you use to stay organized.
- How do you prioritize your workload?
- How do you plan and schedule your work tasks and activities?
- How do you stay focused and productive despite interruptions and conflicting demands on your time?
This is a good opportunity to highlight the paralegal software you are familiar with such as Lexis, MyCase, Practice Manager
Good time management interview questions and answers
3. Give me an example of having to organize large volumes of data in order to prepare a report by a tight deadline.
A paralegal must research and analyze volumes of data in order to prepare written reports and summaries. They also have to be able to work under pressure.
- Describe the steps you took, using a specific example, to identify key issues from a base of information.
- Highlight how you applied relevant legal principals to the facts in your analysis of the information.
4. Tell me about a time you had to interact with a difficult client.
You represent the company to the public and your ability to act professionally at all times is important. Discuss the specific techniques you use to handle a difficult interaction including:
- staying calm
- getting all the necessary facts and information
- discussing options and coming to agreement
Communication skills interview questions
5. Describe a complex legal decision you had to make. Take me through your decision process.
As a paralegal you need to be able to make sound decisions independently.
- gathering all relevant information and pertinent facts
generating and exploring good alternatives
- selecting the best
alternative and checking the decision
Focus on presenting a logical and
systematic decision-making process.
6. Tell me about your experience dealing with confidential and sensitive information.
paralegal needs to use tact and diplomacy when dealing with sensitive
and confidential issues and situations. Provide a specific example.
7. How do you check the accuracy of your work?
- Highlight your attention to detail and your focus on all areas involved in the task no matter how small.
- Describe the systems and processes you use to check your work for accuracy and completeness.
8. Why are you the right person for this job/ Why should we hire you as a paralegal?
Focus on what you can do for the organization - your legal knowledge, abilities, legal experience and skills.
Highlight your particular strengths such as:
- analytical ability
- specialist knowledge
- research skills
Highlight how they meet the needs of the job. Give examples of your past experience that relate directly to this job.
List of workplace strengths
Why should we hire you?
9. Why did you choose to become a paralegal? Why did you choose to specialize in this area of the law?
In your paralegal interview be convincing about your passion for the
- A paralegal position offers an opportunity to participate
meaningfully in the legal process.
- It allows you to think critically and
analytically and to optimize your communication skills.
- As a
paralegal you will be constantly learning and growing.
Look at your
particular specialization - litigation, criminal, corporate, insurance,
family law - and consider what it is about the specific demands of
the job that you enjoy?
11 important paralegal interview tips
- A clear understanding of the paralegal role and responsibilities will help you articulate your interview answers and impress the employer. These detailed descriptions of paralegal duties for different areas of specialization will help you. Paralegal Job Description
- Do your preparation. Use your company research during the paralegal interview to convince the company that you are a serious and committed candidate. Familiarize yourself with the law firm including their areas of practice, their clients and their current news.
questions in your paralegal interview that explore your legal training
and qualifications and knowledge. Show how your training has prepared
you for this specific job.
- Highlight your relevant skills by providing examples of how you have conducted legal research, drafted documents and interacted with clients among other skills.
- Direct your interview answers to what you know about the
organization and the position and relate your expertise to their needs.
The detailed information at what does a paralegal do? can help with this.
- Highlight your familiarity and knowledge of legal software. Discuss your experience with the specialized software and provide examples of how you have used it previously.
- Have good questions ready to ask about the job, the firm and the work you will be doing.
- Demonstrate your professionalism by being punctual, appropriately dressed and being courteous to everyone you meet.
- Be aware of your communication skills throughout the interview. Use proper language and grammar, display fluency in answering questions and display appropriate body language.
Paralegal duties, responsibilities and skills
Having a complete understanding of the paralegal role will help you answer paralegal interview questions.
What do you wear to a paralegal interview?
The work environment for a paralegal is generally more conservative and formal. It is advisable to dress in a professional manner for your interview. You can find good ideas for formal job interview attire for women here.
Your paralegal job application
To Top of Page