Paralegal Job Description
Sample paralegal job description. Paralegal jobs are found in many types of organizations but most find employment in law firms, corporate legal departments and government offices.
Paralegals and legal assistants can work in many different areas of the law including corporate law, criminal law, labor law, family law, real estate and litigation.
Duties of paralegals will differ according to the organization and the
area of specialization in which they are employed but this job
description outlines the core duties and responsibilities.
PARALEGAL JOB DESCRIPTION
Assist and provide a range of legal support and administration to lawyers and other legal professionals engaged in criminal, civil or administrative law.
Main Job Duties and Responsibilities
- perform legal and factual research
- perform records research
- identify relevant judicial decisions, statutes, legal articles, codes and other pertinent material
- organize and analyze information
- cross-check and validate information
- prepare written reports
- draft legal documents including briefs, pleadings, appeals, agreements, contracts and legal memoranda
- help prepare legal arguments, applications, declarations and motions
- prepare correspondence
- check and edit legal forms and documents for accuracy
- build and maintain databases and files
- organize and track case files
- review and monitor new and updated laws and regulations
- maintain law library
- co-ordinate law office activities such as subpoena delivery
- locate and interview witnesses
- help with trial preparation including witness lists, exhibits and trial binders
- assist the lawyer in the courtroom
Education and Experience
- bachelors degree, associates degree or certificate program in paralegal studies
- paralegal certification may be required
- thorough knowledge of legal principles and practices
- thorough knowledge of legal research techniques
- thorough knowledge of legal terminology
- thorough knowledge of legal communication principles and practices
- in depth knowledge of local, state and federal laws and regulations
- relevant computer software knowledge and experience
Key Skills and Competencies
- research skills
- analytical skills
- critical thinking skills
- planning and organizing
- information monitoring
- strong communication skills
- stress tolerance
- attention to detail and accuracy
Paralegal Job Description Part 2
List of paralegal duties and responsibilities
For a detailed list of paralegal duties and responsibilities for different areas of specialization including:
- personal injury
- corporate law
- criminal law
- labor and employment
- intellectual property
- family law
- real estate
- insurance law
go to Paralegal Duties
Your paralegal job application
Use this well-structured sample paralegal resume to develop a professional resume.
Persuasive paralegal cover letter to personalize for your own use.
Paralegal job interviews
Preparing for a job interview? These paralegal interview questions with sample answers will set you up for success.
Paralegal job description pages
What Does a Paralegal Do?
Latest Update - Paralegal Salary
Indeed.com shows the average salary for experienced Paralegal job postings on the site in the US is $51,290 per year as of May 2020.
Best Job Interview > Free Job Descriptions > Paralegal Job Description
To Top of Page