Management Job Description
The management job description outlines the typical activities and responsibilities of the general management function in an organization.
Regardless of age, gender, industry or employer there are common skills and abilities needed for successful performance as a manager. The key outputs and competencies for a manager job are clearly summarized.
Adapt this sample job description for manager positions to meet your specific requirements.
MANAGEMENT JOB DESCRIPTION
Plan, direct and co-ordinate the operations of a business, division, department or operating unit. Plan and maintain systems and procedures for operating efficiency. Manage staff for optimum performance.
Main Job Tasks and Responsibilities
- determine staffing requirements
- hire and train new staff
- supervise direct reporting staff according to overall company policy
- apply strategic planning to determine company, department or unit objectives
- set employee goals and objectives
- develop staff to maximize potential
- monitor staff performance including performance reviews
- delegate work duties to staff to attain objectives
- allocate use of available resources
- monitor and assist staff with work progress
- evaluate current business processes and systems
- plan and implement procedures and systems to maximize operating efficiency
- establish and maintain controls
- formulate department/unit policies and practices
- co-ordinate financial and budget activities for maximum operational efficiency
- facilitate the preparation and analysis of reports
- review performance data (financial, sales and activity reports) to monitor and measure productivity, goal progress and activity levels
- responsible for the achievement of department/division/unit productivity and quality goals
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- knowledge of business and management principles and practices
- knowledge of strategic planning
- knowledge of human resource management principles and procedures
- knowledge of basic economic and accounting principles and practices
- knowledge of office administrative procedures
- proficient in relevant software applications
- information management
- resource management
- planning and organizing
- problem analysis and problem solving
- delegating tasks and responsibility
- communication skills
Management Job Description part 2
Looking for a manager position? These resources will help you.
Need help with a resume? Make use of these sample manager resumes
General Manager Resume Sample
Send a persuasive manager cover letter with your resume.
Preparing for a manager job interview? View these management job interview questions to be ready.
Manager Job Descriptions
Project Manager Job Description
Operations Manager Job Description
Production Manager Job Description
Sales Manager Job Description
Office Manager Job Description
Customer Service Manager Job Description
Find out the skills and competencies that make a successful manager when developing your job description.
Job Interviews > Free Job Descriptions > Manager
Use the search box to find exactly what you are looking for.
To Top of Page