The operations manager job description defines the core tasks and responsibilities of the operations manager role.
Regardless of the type of industry or organization the main purpose of
an operations manager is to plan and direct operations and improve
productivity and efficiency.
The methods and strategies used to achieve this vary from company to
company but there are standard duties and responsibilities
associated with ensuring the smooth operational procedures of the
OPERATIONS MANAGER JOB DESCRIPTION
Operations managers plan, direct and coordinate the operations of an organization. The general operations manager is responsible for ensuring and improving the performance, productivity, efficiency and profitability of departmental and organizational operations through the provision of effective methods and strategies.
Main Job Tasks and Responsibilities
- Coordination and Supervision - Coordinate, manage and monitor the workings of various departments in the organization.
- Financial - Review financial statements and data. Utilize financial data to improve profitability. Prepare and control operational budgets. Control inventory. Plan effective strategies for the financial well being of the company.
- Best Practices - Improve processes and policies in support of organizational goals. Formulate and implement departmental and organizational policies and procedures to maximize output. Monitor adherence to rules, regulations and procedures.
- Human Resources - Plan the use of human resources. Organize recruitment and placement of required staff. Establish organizational structures. Delegate tasks and accountabilities. Establish work schedules. Supervise staff. Monitor and evaluate performance.
- Production - Coordinate and monitor the work of various departments involved in production, warehousing, pricing and distribution of goods. Monitor performance and implement improvements. Ensure quality of products. Manage quality and quantity of employee productivity. Manage maintenance of equipment and machinery. Provide technical support where necessary.
- Communication - Monitor, manage and improve the efficiency of support services such as IT, HR, Accounts and Finance. Facilitate coordination and communication between support functions.
- Sales, Marketing and Customer Service - Manage customer support. Plan and support sales and marketing activities.
- Strategic Input - Liaison with top management. Assist in the development of strategic plans for operational activity. Implement and manage operational plans.
Education and Experience
The formal education and experience for the operations manager job description varies according to the nature of the job responsibilities. However the following are commonly required in the operations manager role.
- College degree in business administration, commerce, management, industrial technology or industrial engineering. Certain schools offer bachelor's and master's degrees in operations management.
- Industry relevant production experience
- Knowledge and experience in organizational effectiveness and operations management
- Knowledge of business and management principles and practices
- Knowledge of financial and accounting principles and practices
- Knowledge of human resource principles and practices
- Knowledge of project management principles and practices
- Information technology skills
- critical thinking and problem solving skills
- planning and organizing
- communication skills
- influencing and leading
- team work
- conflict management
- stress tolerance
Operations Manager Job Description Resources
Production Manager Job Description
Management Job Description
Project Manager Job Description
Quality Assurance Job Description
Human Resources Job Description
Purchasing Manager Job Description
Operations Manager Job Description Template
Need help writing a good resume? Use this sample resume template to help you.
Free Resume Samples
Manager Cover Letter
Sample Cover Letters to submit with your job application.
Use these management job interview questions with interview answer guidelines to prepare for your operations manager job interview.
Project Management Interview Questions
Latest Update - Operations Manager Salary
reports that the average salary for Operations Manager job postings on
the site is $65,800 per year as of July 2018 in the United States. Free Job Descriptions
> Manager Job Descriptions > Operations Manager
Use the search box to find exactly what you are looking for.
To Top of Page