What Makes a Good Manager?
Knowing what makes a good manager allows for the effective
selection of a strong management team.
There are certain skills and competencies
that a successful manager displays regardless of industry, organization, age or
These are the key skills a manager demonstrates to achieve a productive and
efficient workforce that accomplishes the right results.
A good manager provides clear direction
- defines specific objectives and outcomes
- communicates these clearly to staff
- delegates responsibility and defines roles explicitly
- establishes and communicates checks and controls
- follows up to ensure staff are on track to achieve outcomes
A good manager engages in clear communication
- expresses ideas effectively
- allows for frequent and open two-way communication
- summarizes information to clarify understanding
- listens to and acts on staff suggestions
- provides constructive feedback to staff
A good manager effectively develops staff
- utilizes staff members' skills and potential through effective
- develops staff through appropriate learning activities
- empowers staff by sharing control of resources and responsibilities
- manages staff performance continuously
- provides support and help to maximize performance
- recognizes staff for their efforts
A good manager exercises good judgment
- defines and clarifies the issue
- gathers relevant facts
- chooses the most appropriate course of action based on valid information
- commits to the course of action
- communicates and explains decision to staff
- follows up on implementation
A good manager plans and organizes to get results
- defines objectives
- develops set of actions to meet objectives
- determines, obtains and assigns resources
- directs and motivates staff to achieve outcomes
- evaluates and reviews progress
A good manager solves problems effectively
- defines the problem
- gathers and analyzes relevant information
- identifies cause and effect relationships
- generates possible solutions
- plans, communicates and executes the best solution
Identifying a good manager does not have to be complicated. Focus on the
basic skills that matter. Use the manager interview guide to explore these competencies and make the right
As a manager use your insight to evaluate your own skills.
What are the qualities of a good manager?
A manager is expected to demonstrate certain workplace competencies and strengths that are core to successful job performance in most areas. You can find a list of the 12 Core Competencies identified as key to workplace success.
List of Workplace Strengths
Manager Job Description Pages
Management vs. Leadership
Manager Job Descriptions
Manager Job Applications
Manager Cover Letter
Manager Job Interviews
understanding of what makes a good manager will enable you to answer manager
interview questions properly and professionally.
The Manager Job Interview
Management Interview Questions
Leadership Interview Questions
Supervisor Interview Questions
Job Interviews > Manager Interview > What makes a good manager?
Use the search box to find exactly what you are looking for.
To Top of Page