What Makes a Good Manager?
Knowing what makes a good manager allows for the effective
selection of a strong management team. Management job candidates are often asked this question in their interview.
There are certain skills, qualities and competencies
that a successful manager displays regardless of industry, organization, age or
6 Skills a Manager Should Demonstrate
These are the key qualities and abilities a good manager demonstrates to achieve a productive and
efficient workforce that accomplishes the right results.
1. A good manager provides clear direction
- defines specific objectives and outcomes
- communicates these clearly to staff
- delegates responsibility and defines roles explicitly
- establishes and communicates checks and controls
- follows up to ensure staff are on track to achieve outcomes
2. A good manager engages in clear communication
- expresses ideas effectively
- allows for frequent and open two-way communication
- summarizes information to clarify understanding
- listens to and acts on staff suggestions
- provides constructive feedback to staff
3. A good manager effectively develops staff
- utilizes staff members' skills and potential through effective
- develops staff through appropriate learning activities
- empowers staff by sharing control of resources and responsibilities
- manages staff performance continuously
- provides support and help to maximize performance
- recognizes staff for their efforts
4. A good manager exercises good judgment
- defines and clarifies the issue
- gathers relevant facts
- chooses the most appropriate course of action based on valid information
- commits to the course of action
- communicates and explains decision to staff
- follows up on implementation
5. A good manager plans and organizes to get results
- defines objectives
- develops set of actions to meet objectives
- determines, obtains and assigns resources
- directs and motivates staff to achieve outcomes
- evaluates and reviews progress
6. A good manager solves problems effectively
- defines the problem
- gathers and analyzes relevant information
- identifies cause and effect relationships
- generates possible solutions
- plans, communicates and executes the best solution
Identifying a good manager does not have to be complicated. Focus on the
basic skills that matter. Use the manager interview guide to explore these competencies and make the right
As a manager use your insight to evaluate your own skills.
What are the strengths and qualities of a good manager?
A manager is expected to demonstrate certain workplace competencies and strengths that are core to successful job performance in most areas. You can find a list of the 12 Core Competencies identified as key to workplace success.
List of Workplace Strengths
Manager job descriptions
Gain a complete understanding of management duties and responsibilities and the role of the manager in the organization with these extensive job descriptions.
Management vs. Leadership
Manager Job Descriptions
What makes a good manager? How to prepare for manager interview questions.
understanding of what makes a good manager will enable you to answer manager
interview questions properly and professionally.
Submit a winning manager job application
To Top of Page