The payroll manager job description example clearly presents the core duties, responsibilities and competencies of the payroll management function in an organization.
The job requirements will vary from company to company. However the generic job requirements and duties for the payroll manager are listed along with the necessary job competencies.
Adapt this sample job description to reflect the payroll job you are specifying.
Co-ordinate, direct and control payroll preparation, processing and distribution.
Main Job Tasks, Duties and Responsibilities
- supervise and co-ordinate activities of payroll staff
- manage payroll workload to meet operational requirements
- ensure payroll is processed in an accurate, compliant and timely manner
- direct the preparation of payroll related documents
- administer benefit plans
- oversee compliance with statutory reporting and filing requirements
- compile data from payroll sources
- prepare relevant weekly, monthly, quarterly and year-end reports
- monitor the accurate processing of staff appointments, transfers, promotions and terminations
- prepare and review payroll account reconciliations
- maintain accurate account balances
- review and improve payroll policies and procedures
- oversee the maintenance of current employee data systems
- ensure all payroll information and records are maintained in accordance with statutory requirements
- support all internal and external audits related to payroll
- process payroll checks for executive staff
- interpret new legislation impacting payroll
- manage and resolve issues relating to payroll production
- performance manage and develop payroll staff
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Certified Payroll Professional designation preferred
- knowledge of accounting principles and practices
- in-depth knowledge and experience of payroll calculation and processing
- managerial/supervisory experience
- knowledge of applicable local, state and federal rules and laws
- solid financial acumen
- proficiency in relevant payroll and accounting software
- attention to detail and accuracy
- planning and organizing
- scheduling and monitoring
- communication skills
- problem analysis and problem-solving skills
- stress tolerance
- team work
Payroll Manager Job Description Pages
Payroll Clerk Job Description
Accounting Job Descriptions
What are the top skills needed for success as a payroll manager?
Hiring managers seek the following 5 top skills and competencies in a payroll manager.
- strong mathematical and financial skills
- proficiency with payroll software
- management and teamwork skills
- problem analysis and problem solving skills
- planning and organizational skills
Job Interview Questions
Accounting Interview Questions
Manager Interview Questions
Typical Interview Questions
Latest Update - Average Payroll Manager Salary
postings for Payroll Manager in the United States on the job site
Indeed.com show an average salary of $72,776 as of June 2019.
Best Job Interview > Free Job Descriptions > Payroll Manager
Use the search box to find exactly what you are looking for.
To Top of Page