Payroll Clerk Job Description
The payroll clerk job description example provides a useful framework for a detailed and accurate explanation of the payroll function. Use this as a template for writing a detailed and informative job description for your payroll clerk position.
The primary duties, responsibilities and job skills for a payroll clerk are
generally standard across the different industries. Select the duties
and responsibilities that apply to your job.
Payroll Clerk Job Description
Accurately issue pay to employees by calculating earnings and deductions in accordance with established practices and guidelines.
Main Job Duties and Responsibilities
- collect, compile and enter payroll data using appropriate software
- review and verify source documents
- calculate and post payroll deductions
- process payroll by established deadlines
- issue statements of earnings and deductions
- reconcile employee deductions
- investigate and correct payroll discrepancies and errors
- update payroll records by recording changes including insurance coverage, loan payments, salary increases
- process new employees, terminations, transfers and promotions
- prepare and print payroll reports of earnings, hours worked, taxes, insurance, leave
- address employee's pay-related concerns and provide accurate payroll information
- complete requests for pay-related documents including statements and verifications
- produce federal, state and local tax payments
- develop, manage and maintain comprehensive payroll records
- ensure compliance with federal and state regulations and guidelines
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- experience of payroll processing
- good working knowledge of relevant software
- understanding of basic accounting principles
- understanding of internal controls
- knowledge of federal and state payroll regulations and requirements
Key Skills and Competencies
- communication skills - verbal and written
- attention to detail
- strong numerical skills
- planning and organizing
- information collection, analysis and management
- solid data entry skills
- problem solving
- customer service orientation
- stress tolerance
Payroll clerk job description pages
Payroll Clerk Job Description Template
What skills do you need to be a payroll clerk?
Hiring managers have identified the following 5 key skills for success as a payroll clerk:
- attention to detail and accuracy
- strong numeracy skills including the ability to perform calculations quickly and accurately
- planning and organizational skills including the ability to prioritize tasks to meet deadlines
- problem solving skills including the ability to identify problems and deal with them quickly and efficiently.
- good communication skills including the ability to provide information clearly and concisely to staff members
Your payroll job application
Accounting ResumesCover Letters
Latest Update - What does a payroll clerk make an hour?
According to Indeed.com the average salary for payroll clerk job postings on the site is US $39,873 per year as of April 2021.
To Top of Page