Important store manager interview questions with interview answer help to make the best impression in your job interview.
and be well prepared to stand out from the competition.
1. What strategies do you use to motivate staff members?
Key steps to successful motivation include:
Provide concrete examples of motivational, programs tools and techniques you have used. Tried and tested examples include:
2. How do you train and develop staff members?
Key steps to effective training include:
The training should meet both the employee's developmental needs and help meet the store and company objectives.
3. How do you delegate tasks?
Criteria for effective delegation includes:
4. What steps do you take to ensure task completion?
This store manager interview question is used to evaluate that you have the proper procedures in place to monitor your team and tasks. In your interview answer focus on:
5. What steps have you taken to establish good communication with your team?
In your interview answer focus on:
6. What key metrics do you use to inform strategy?
Retail and store management is largely data-driven. It is essential to understand key metrics such as:
7. What store-specific strategies have you developed and implemented?
Typical store strategies center around:
8. What is your customer service philosophy?
Understanding what constitutes good customer service and promoting a culture of positive customer experiences is key to success as a store manager.
Support your answer with specific examples of customer service improvements you have implemented.
Find out more at What is good customer service?
9. How have you addressed shrink in your store?
Go through the processes you have implemented to reduce shrink and the results you achieved.
Expect these straightforward operational store manager interview questions:
Describe the inventory process at your previous store.
How do you ensure optimal scheduling?
How do you track sales?
What tools do you use for forecasting and budgeting?
Behavioral interview questions require you to use the STAR Technique to properly answer. Be ready with good examples for the following typical store manager interview questions.
1. Describe a recent incident where you had to handle an angry customer
In your store manager interview answer focus on:
2. How have you resolved a conflict situation between staff members?
Conflict is a fact of life and managing it is part of your job. Focus on the techniques you use to diffuse conflict including:
3. How have you managed an under performing staff member?
Store manager interview questions will evaluate your ability to effectively manage employee performance. Focus on the following in your interview answer
4. Tell me about a time you had to discipline a staff member for poor behavior
There are a number of common staff behavioral issues that store managers have to deal with including:
Taking action can be tough but is necessary and includes the following steps:
5. Describe a mistake you recently made and how you handled it
Consider the impact your mistakes as a store manager make on your team, the customers and the overall operations of the store. Focus on:
Often mistakes made by a manager center around communication and misunderstanding. Your communication skills as a manager will be explored throughout the interview.
6. Tell me about a tough decision you had to make recently at work, what steps did you take?
Store management involves making small and big decisions daily. The process for making a sound decision is standard regardless of the type of decision and includes:
1. What makes you the right candidate for this job?
Focus on the competencies and strengths that make you a great candidate for this particular store manage job.
Provide concrete examples of your relevant achievements and show how you match the job requirements. Focus on your management skills as these are the most essential in this job.
2. What has been your greatest achievements as a store manager?
Store manager interview questions about your accomplishments are looking for concrete examples of your success. Focus on measurable results such as:
3. How would your team describe you as a manager?
Think of the words your team would use to describe you such as:
4. What do you consider to be your strengths and weaknesses as a store manager?
These typical store manager interview questions require some thought beforehand. Emphasize the strengths you have that are crucial to the position. Get help with answering this question at:
How to describe your weaknesses in an interview
5. Why do you want this job?
Show a match between the job requirements and your strengths, skills and needs. Discuss the things you like about the company.
Have some smart questions ready to ask the interviewer. Insightful store manager interview questions that demonstrate your knowledge of the company and your interest in the job ensure you leave a positive impression. Good examples include:
What are the most important priorities when starting this position?
What are the current objectives for the store?
What are the main challenges I will face in this position?
How would doing an excellent job be defined?
What are the current challenges the company faces?
What type of training and support can I expect to receive?
What is the best thing about working for this company?
Avoid questions that could easily be answered by reviewing the company website. Avoid questions about benefits and compensation at this point in the hiring process.
1. Do thorough research before your interview.
You should know about the following:
Find out how to research the company before your interview
2. Be familiar with your resume and have relevant work samples and evidence of your achievements
Know your resume backwards so you can readily respond to questions about the information in your resume. Take enough copies of your resume for all the interviewers and any non-confidential documents and materials that will impress.
3. Arrive on time and make a good impression from the word go
Good time keeping is key to this type of job so ensure you get to the interview in good time to complete any documentation and settle before the interview begins.
Find out how make the right impression from the word go.
4. Focus on your verbal and non verbal communication
As a key store manager skill, your communication ability will be constantly assessed throughout the interview. Find out how to build rapport with the interviewer.
5. Follow up after the interview
Send an interview thank you as soon as possible after your interview.
It is important to have the right interview attire. You need to project a professional and competent image and one that fits with the company culture.
It is always advisable to dress more formally for your interview than you would for your work day. Find out more about the right interview dress here.
Find out all about store manager duties, responsibilities and skills. Ensure you have a full understanding of the store manager role. This will help you answer store manager interview questions with confidence.
A strong resume and cover letter is essential when applying for a store manager position.
Use the search box to find exactly what you are looking for.