Free Interview Tips
What is the right job interview etiquette?
Free interview tips from the experts to make the right interview impression from the word go.
Know what to do from the moment you arrive at the company for your job interview. Present yourself positively and professionally every step of the way and you will impress as the right job candidate.
Your job interview actually begins in the parking lot of the company!
Act professionally and calmly - someone could be observing you. Be aware of how you come across while waiting in reception for your job interview. Display a positive and professional attitude at all times.
Take these 4 simple steps to get it right.
1. Turn off all electronics
you arrive for you job interview, turn off your phone. Now you are
completely focused on the interview and at no point will you be
interrupted by a ringing phone!
Fiddling with your phone
while you wait for your interview is poor job interview etiquette and gives the impression of a lack of
2. Greet the receptionist
interview tips that help you to impress include greeting the
receptionist politely and speaking confidently when you introduce
- Explain your reason for being there and ask for the
interviewer by name.
- You should arrive about ten minutes early, spend
this time making friendly small talk with the receptionist.
- You can gain some useful information about the company or interviewer
as well as make a positive impression on the receptionist.
- You may be
asked to complete some forms on arrival. Ensure you provide the correct
information and complete all the requirements.
ask their assistants for an opinion of the candidate. Make sure you are
professional and polite to any support staff. View each contact you make
in the company as a part of your job interview process.
3. Greet the interviewer
first impression that the interviewer has of you is based on the way
you greet him or her.
- Make sure you stand up, look directly at the
interviewer and give a firm handshake, saying something along the lines
of, "I am pleased to meet you, Mr Smith."
- It is always valuable to use the interviewer's name, this is the start of building good rapport.
- Wait for the interviewer to give you the signal to sit down, either a hand gesture or when he or she sits down themselves.
4. Sit properly
you are sitting at a table, place your document folder on the table
rather than keeping it on your lap.
- If you have a handbag, place this on
the floor by your feet. It will get in the way on your lap or on the
- If there is no table think carefully before accepting the offer of
something to drink. You don't want to have to balance a cup of coffee or
glass of water throughout the interview!
What to do while you wait for your interview
Once the actual job interview begins there are a number of practical
free interview tips that can help you to perform successfully.
Free Interview Tips and Techniques
- When you walk into the interview the more prepared you are the greater your chances of success. This practical preparation advice helps you to be both confident and ready for your job interview.
sure you have everything you need for your interview, including copies
of your resume, a reference list and some questions ready to ask the
interviewer. The interview checklist will help you to get ready for your interview.
- Interview anxiety is a common problem. Learn how to reduce interview nerves.
- Your interview body language is key to sending the right message. Understand what your non-verbal communication is saying about you.
- Establishing good rapport with the interviewer is core to a successful interview. Know how to communicate verbally in your interview.
- Avoid common job interview mistakes and feel confident of your performance in the interview.
9 steps to a perfect job interview
Find out more about preparing for the perfect interview.
Find out how to perfect your job interview technique.
Display the right job interview etiquette and be sure of success in your next job interview.
Job Interviews > Free Interview Tips > Interview Etiquette
Use the search box to find exactly what you are looking for.
To Top of Page