The customer service job description gives you a good understanding of the duties, responsibilities and skills involved in customer service work.
Although customer service jobs vary according to sector, the company and the level of the position, the fundamental job requirements remain standard for the customer service function in an organization.
Select the details that apply to your position from this comprehensive customer service responsibilities list.
CUSTOMER SERVICE JOB DESCRIPTION
Interact with customers to provide and process information in response to inquiries, concerns and requests about products and services.
Main Job Duties and Responsibilities
- deal directly with customers either by telephone, electronically or face to face
- respond promptly to customer inquiries
- handle and resolve customer complaints
- obtain and evaluate all relevant information to handle product and service inquiries
- provide pricing and delivery information
- perform customer verifications
- set up new customer accounts
- process orders, forms, applications and requests
- organize workflow to meet customer timeframes
- direct requests and unresolved issues to the designated resource
- manage customers' accounts
- keep records of customer interactions and transactions
- record details of inquiries, comments and complaints
- record details of actions taken
- prepare and distribute customer activity reports
- maintain customer databases
- manage administration
- communicate and coordinate with internal departments
- follow up on customer interactions
- provide feedback on the efficiency of the customer service process
Education and Experience
- High school diploma, general education degree or equivalent
- knowledge of customer service principles and practices
- knowledge of relevant computer applications
- knowledge of social media platforms
- knowledge of administrative procedures
- numeric, oral and written language applications
- product knowledge
Key Skills and Competencies
- interpersonal skills
- communication skills- verbal and written
- listening skills
- problem analysis and problem-solving
- attention to detail and accuracy
- data collection and ordering
- customer service orientation
- stress tolerance
Use this customer service job description Part 2 to further develop your job description.
Use this job description to create a winning customer service resume
Do you want help in creating your resume? Use the customer service resume template to write a professional and persuasive resume.
Entry Level Customer Service Resume
a powerful cover letter with you resume. View the
customer service cover letter and adapt it for your own
Customer Service Resume Objective Examples
Customer service job interviews
What skills do you need for customer service?
Employers responded to this question by identifying these 5 key customer service representative skills in addition to a strong customer service orientation:
- effective communication skills including active listening, asking appropriate questions, clarifying the issues and expressing oneself clearly.
- analysis and problem assessment skills demonstrated by the ability to collect the necessary information to identify key issues and identify cause-effect relationships
- adaptability including the ability to perform efficiently in different environments and with diverse tasks and people
- stress tolerance and the ability to maintain satisfactory work standards under pressure
- in-depth product knowledge including proactive learning and understanding
Don't miss these customer service job description pages
Customer Service Manager Job Description
Bank Customer Service Job Description
Latest Update - Customer Service Salary
Indeed.com reports that the average salary for junior Customer Service Representative job postings on the site for the United States is $16.66 per hour as of September 2022 and $18.50 for senior Customer Service Representative jobs.
To Top of Page