Bank Teller Job Description
The sample bank teller job description outlines the typical duties, responsibilities and skill requirements for a bank teller job in a concise and well-structured format.
Bank tellers hold the front line job in a bank as they are the
employees that customers generally see and interact with first.
It is a
key banking position and experienced bank cashiers or tellers are in
high demand. Determining the right job requirements for a successful teller is core to job performance.
This job description clearly answers the question "What is the role of a bank teller?" and can easily be adapted for your specific banking job.
BANK TELLER JOB DESCRIPTION
Accurately and efficiently process and record routine transactions for bank customers including cashing checks, accepting deposits and withdrawals, processing loan payments and money transfers. Promote and advise on the bank's products and services.
Main Job Duties and Responsibilities
- receive and count working cash at beginning of shift
- identify customers, validate and cash checks
- accept cash and checks for deposit and check accuracy of deposit slip
- process cash withdrawals
- perform specialized tasks such as preparing cashier's checks, personal money orders, issuing traveler's checks and exchanging foreign currency
- perform services for customers such as ordering bank cards and checks
- receive and verify loan payments, mortgage payments and utility bill payments
- record all transactions promptly, accurately and in compliance with bank procedures
- balance currency, cash and checks in cash drawer at end of each shift
- answer inquiries regarding checking and savings accounts and other bank related products
- attempt to resolve issues and problems with customer's accounts
- initiate and open new accounts
- explain, advise on and promote bank products and services to customers
- identify referral opportunities and make relevant referrals
- ensure compliance with all internal controls and established policies and procedures
Education and Experience
- high school diploma or equivalent
- some clerical, administrative, cash handling, sales or customer service experience preferred
- knowledge of customer service principles
- relevant computer skills
- on-the-job training usually provided
Key Skills and Competencies
- strong numerical ability
- good listening and communication skills
- customer service orientation
- accuracy and attention to detail
- time management
- problem solving
- honesty and integrity
- stress tolerance
Your bank teller resume and job application
Use this bank teller job description for your resume. Easy-to-adapt and well written bank teller sample resume to help you build your own persuasive resume.
How to write a job-winning bank teller resume objectiveExcellent Bank Teller Cover Letter
What skills does a bank teller need?
Employers were asked what they consider to be the most important skills for a bank teller. They identified these 4 top skills.
- cash handling skills including strong numeracy skills and accuracy in all aspects of the work
- communication skills including good listening skills and the ability to communicate professionally and effectively
service skills including the ability to develop strong customer
relationships and giving top priority to customer satisfaction
- technical skills including good working knowledge of core computer programs
Prepare for the bank teller job interview
Preparing for a bank teller job interview? Go through these bank interview questions
Finance Interview Questions
Customer service is key to the bank teller job. Expect customer service interview questions in your job interview.
About banking employment checks
Bank job candidates will usually undergo a pre-employment check. Find out about the employment background check
Readers also liked
Simple steps on how to write a job description
Latest Update - Bank Teller Salary
job site reports average salaries for job postings on the site in the
United States for Bank Teller/Clerk jobs is $16.00 per hour as of March 2023.
To Top of Bank Teller Job Description Page