Help Desk Job Description
The help desk job description applies to the generic help desk and service desk job function and can easily be revised to suit your specific needs.
The help desk support role will vary depending on the organization and overall systems environment but these are the duties and activities common to most help desk positions.
Also detailed are the key skills and abilities required for successful job performance in the help desk position.
HELP DESK JOB DESCRIPTION
Provide user support and customer service on company-supported computer applications and platforms. Troubleshoot problems and advise on the appropriate action.
Main Job Duties and Responsibilities
- respond to requests for technical assistance in person, via phone, chat or email
- diagnose and resolve technical hardware and software issues
- research questions using available information resources
- advise user on appropriate action
- follow standard help desk procedures
- log all help desk interactions
- administer help desk software
- follow up with customers and users to ensure complete resolution of issues
- redirect problems to correct resource
- identify and escalate situations requiring urgent attention
- track and route problems and requests and document resolutions
- resolve technical problems with Local Area Networks and Wide Area networks
- prepare activity reports
- inform management of recurring problems
- stay current with system information, changes and updates
- help update training manuals for new and revised software and hardware
- train computer users as necessary
- clean up computers
Education, Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelors degree preferred
- working knowledge of fundamental operations of relevant software, hardware and other equipment
- experience researching, analyzing and interpreting automated system problems
- knowledge of relevant call tracking applications
- knowledge and experience of customer service practices
- related experience and training in troubleshooting and providing help desk support
Key Skills and Competencies
- oral and written communication skills
- learning skills
- customer service orientation
- problem analysis
- team interaction
- planning and organizing
- attention to detail
- stress tolerance
Help Desk Resumes
Need help developing your resume? Adapt this sample help desk resume to write a job-winning resume.
Send a persuasive cover letter with your resume.
Help Desk Job Interviews
Be prepared for your help desk job interview with these typical help desk interview questions with answer guidelines.
Be ready for common customer service interview questions in your help desk interview.
Help Desk Job Description Pages
How to write a job description
job description is a useful resource for both job seekers and employers
to clarify the generic tasks and requirements of the help desk
function and role. Adapt it for your own use.
Latest Update - Help Desk Salary
Indeed.com reports that the average salary for Help Desk Analyst job postings on their USA site is $18.00 per hour as of March 2020. Salaries for job postings for Help Desk Support jobs average $18.30 per hour
Job Interviews > Job Descriptions > Help Desk Job
To Top of Page