Use the accounting job description to determine the common job
requirements and competencies for a senior accountant position.
tasks and responsibilities will vary from company to company but the
core functions remain constant and are clearly articulated in this job description.
A practical and comprehensive job description is essential for a full understanding of the expectations and performance requirements of this position.
Adapt this job description to meet your specific needs and requirements.
The senior accountant is responsible for applying accepted accounting principles and procedures to analyze financial information, prepare accurate and timely financial reports and statements and ensure appropriate accounting control procedures.
Main Job Tasks and Responsibilities
- compile and analyze financial information to prepare financial statements including monthly and annual accounts
- ensure financial records are maintained in compliance with accepted policies and procedures
- make certain all financial reporting deadlines are met
- prepare financial management reports
- ensure accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year end close processes
- establish and monitor the implementation and maintenance of accounting control procedures
- resolve accounting discrepancies and irregularities
- continuous management and support of budget and forecast activities
- monitor and support taxation requirements
- develop and maintain financial databases
- prepare for financial audit and coordinate the audit process
- oversee accurate and appropriate recording and analysis of revenues and expenses
- evaluate and advise on business operations including revenue and expenditure trends, financial commitments and future revenues
- collect and analyze financial information to recommend or develop efficient use of resources and procedures, provide strategic recommendations and maintain solutions to business and financial problems
- ensure compliance with relevant laws and regulations and integrity of financial data
Education and Experience
- accounting degree or equivalent
- knowledge of generally accepted accounting practices and principles
- knowledge of economic principles
- knowledge of auditing practices and principles
- knowledge of applicable laws, codes and regulations
- knowledge and experience of accounting computer applications
- usually a minimum of 3 years experience in the management of financial systems and budgets, financial reporting, financial data analysis, auditing, taxation and providing financial advice
- attention to detail and accuracy
- planning and organizing
- strategic thinking
- strong communication skills
- information and task monitoring
- problem identification and analysis
- judgment and problem-solving
- supervisory skills
- stress tolerance
Junior Accounting Job Description
General accounting including the preparation of journal entries, maintenance of balance sheet schedules and ledgers and account and bank reconciliations. Assisting with monthly closings and account analysis and supporting the senior accountant in carrying out the responsibilities of the accounting department.
To view the full job description for a junior accounting job go to Junior Accountant Job Description
Accounting Job Descriptions
Accounts Receivable Job Description
Accounts Payable Job Description
Accounting Clerk Job Description
Junior Accounting Job Description
General Accounting Job Descriptions
Sample Accounting Resume
Accounts Payable Resume
Accounts Receivable Resume
General Accounting Resumes
Accountant Cover Letter
Accounting Job Interviews
Accountant Interview Questions
Latest Update - Accountant Salary
Glassdoor reports that the average salary for Senior Accountant job postings in
the United States on their site is $75,000 as of June 2019.
> Job Descriptions > Accounting Job Description
Use the search box to find exactly what you are looking for.
To Top of Page