Sample Accounts Payable
Use the accounts payable job description to understand the typical job duties and general requirements for an accounts payable clerk in the organization.
An accounts payable administrator or clerk is generally responsible for processing invoices and issuing payments. A number of related tasks are included in this function.
Adapt the sample job description to reflect the accounts payable duties, responsibilities and skills required for this position in your company.
ACCOUNTS PAYABLE JOB DESCRIPTION
Perform accounting and clerical duties related to the efficient maintenance and processing of accounts payable transactions.
Main Job Tasks, Duties and Responsibilities
- assemble, review and verify invoices and check requests
- flag and clarify any unusual or questionable invoice items or prices
- sort, code and match invoices
- set invoices up for payment
- enter and upload invoices into system
- track expenses and process expense reports
- prepare and process electronic transfers and payments
- prepare and perform check runs
- post transactions to journals, ledgers and other records
- reconcile accounts payable transactions
- prepare analysis of accounts
- monitor accounts to ensure payments are up to date
- research and resolve invoice discrepancies and issues
- maintain vendor files
- correspond with vendors and respond to inquiries
- produce monthly reports
- assist with month end closing
- provide supporting documentation for audits
- maintain accurate historical records
- maintain confidentiality of organizational information
Education and Experience
- knowledge of accounts payable
- knowledge of general accounting procedures
- knowledge of relevant accounting software (such as Sage, FreshBooks, QuickBooks)
- proficient in data entry and management
- 1-3 years accounts payable or general accounting experience
Key Accounts Payable Skills and Competencies
- organizing and prioritizing
- attention to detail and accuracy
- communication skills
- vendor relationship skills
- information management skills
- problem analysis and problem-solving skills
- team work
- professional integrity
- ability to meet deadlines
This job description provides useful clarification of the accounts payable job in the organization. For more accountant job descriptions go to these sample accounting job descriptions
Accounts Payable Job Description Pages
For a complete Accounts Receivable Job Description
Accounting Clerk Job Description
Bookkeeper Job Description
Make good use of this comprehensive accounts payable job description to develop a job-winning accounts payable resume.
Accounts Resume Pages
Accounts Payable Sample Resume
Accounts Receivable Resume
Accounting Clerk Resume
Entry Level Accounting Resume
All Accounting Resumes
Accounts Payable Cover Letter
Accounts Payable Job Interviews
Find out how to answer typical accounts payable and receivable interview questions at accounting job interview questions.
Accountant interview questions commonly asked in an accounting job interview.
Use this interview checklist for all your job interview needs.
Latest Update - Accounts Payable Salary
Indeed.com reports that the average salary for job postings in the United States for Accounts Payable Clerk jobs listed on the site is $17.53 per hour as of January 2020.
Job interviews > Sample job descriptions > Accounts payable job description
Use the search box to find exactly what you are looking for.
To Top of Page