Accounting Clerk Job Description
Easy-to-use accounting clerk job description.
The duties and
responsibilities will vary from company to company but the primary job
activities and requirements for an accounting clerk position are clearly
detailed in this job description.
You can adapt this practical job description for your own specific use and be sure that the job is clearly defined in terms of job tasks, duties and responsibilities.
Excellent resources for both job seekers and employers.
Performs a range of general clerical, accounting and bookkeeping support functions in an organization.
Main Job Tasks, Duties and Responsibilities
General accounts receivable functions
- Prepare and submit customer invoices
- Code, post and receipt payments
- Prepare and coordinate deposit activities
- Perform all necessary account, bank and other reconciliations
- Monitor customer accounts for non payment and delayed payment
General accounts payable functions
- Check, verify and process invoices
- Prepare payments for signature
- Sort, code and enter accounts payable data
- Analyze discrepancies and unpaid invoices
- Maintain vendor files
General payroll functions
- Collect, confirm and process time sheets and overtime
- Verify taxes and other deductions
- Prepare and distribute payroll checks
- Track employee vacation and sick time
General support functions
- Update, verify and maintain accounting journals and ledgers and other financial records
- Assist in month end reporting procedures
- Find and use accounting data to resolve accounting problems and discrepancies
- Track and audit petty cash
- Assist with employee expense reports
- Perform filing and general administrative tasks
- Liaise with other departments/customers/vendors
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- 1 - 3 years experience in clerical accounting
- Associate degree in business or accounting an advantage
- MS Office and knowledge of accounting software
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting and bookkeeping principles and procedures
- solid computer literacy
- knowledge and compliance with relevant local, state and federal financial regulations
- Planning and organizing
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Customer service orientation
- Communication skills - verbal and written
Accounting Clerk Job Description Pages
The following job descriptions will provide more information for the accounting clerk job.
Accounts Payable Job Description
Accounts Receivable Job Description
Payroll Clerk Job Description
Accounting clerk job description skills list
Your Accounting Job Search
Use this accounting clerk job description to develop a job-winning accounting clerk resume and include a persuasive accounting clerk cover letter.
Is this an entry-level job? Get help writing your accounting resume for a junior or entry-level accounting job.
The accounts payable/receivable resumes are excellent accounting job search resources.
Accounting Clerk Job Interviews
Preparing for a job interview? These accounting interview questions will help you.
Clerical Interview Questions
Latest Update - Accounting Clerk Salary
Indeed.com reports that the average accounting clerk salary for job postings in the United States as of December2019 is $16.25 per hour. The average
salary for job postings for Senior Accounting Clerk is $18.55 per hour.
Job Interviews > Free Job Descriptions > Accounting Job Descriptions > Accounting Clerk
Use the search box to find exactly what you are looking for.
To Top of Page