Bookkeeper Job Description
The bookkeeper job description clearly outlines the primary responsibilities, duties and tasks of the bookkeeper job.
Certain bookkeeper duties will vary according to the individual needs of the company but the core functions of the bookkeeper job remain unchanged.
There is a high demand for good, accurate bookkeepers, they are key to
the essential operations of a business or institution. Job opportunities
in this field are ongoing.
Adapt this bookkeeping job description for your own use.
BOOKKEEPING JOB DESCRIPTION
Responsible for maintaining the financial records of a company by accurately recording the day to day financial transactions of the company.
Main Job Tasks and Responsibilities
- check and verify source documents such as invoices, receipts, computer printouts
- allocate and post financial transaction details to subsidiary books
- transfer data to general ledger
- reconcile and balance all accounts
- draw up financial statements (trial balance, income statement, balance sheet)
- collate and analyze account data and generate financial reports
- track and maintain inventory records
- maintain internal control systems
- manage accounts payable and accounts receivable
- prepare checks, payments and bank deposits
- prepare and process payroll
- comply with relevant reporting requirements
- calculate and prepare tax payments
- assist with budget preparation
- assist with audits
- maintain complete filing system to support financial records
Education and Experience
- knowledge of bookkeeping practices
- knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and procedures
- knowledge of relevant legislation and regulatory requirements
- working knowledge of relevant computer applications
- knowledge of data management and financial data analysis
- an associate degree in accounting, finance or business an advantage
- bookkeeping certification
- planning and organizing
- attention to detail
- information collection and monitoring
- problem analysis
- problem solving
- communication skills
Use these accountant job descriptions to get further job-related information.
What are the top skills of a bookkeeper?
Employers have identified these top 6 skills and competencies for the bookkeeper position
- attention to detail and accuracy including close and continual monitoring and checking of processes and work tasks
- work planning and management including scheduling and prioritizing work tasks to meet strict deadlines
- efficient data collection, review and management plus good data entry skills
- able to identify problems quickly and accurately and implement workable solutions
- strict adherence to confidentiality regulations and ethical standards
- the ability to communicate effectively with other employees and stakeholders
Useful Bookkeeper Job Description Resources
Junior Accountant Job Description
Accounting Clerk Job Description
Accounts Receivable and Payable
Bookkeeper Job Description Template
Do you want to create an effective resume? You can use this bookkeeper job description to help you and the sample bookkeeper resume provides an excellent template for you.
Send a persuasive bookkeeper cover letter with your job application.
Bookkeeper Job Interviews
Need help with your bookkeeper job interview? Use the comprehensive guide to accounting interview questions and answers to prepare for success.
Top 10 Interview Questions
Latest Update - Bookkeeper Salary
reports that the average salary for US-based bookkeeper job postings on
the site is $17.00 per hour as of January 2019.
Job Interviews > Job Descriptions > Accounting Job Descriptions > Bookkeeper Job Description
Use the search box to find exactly what you are looking for.
To Top of Page