Bookkeeper Job Description
The bookkeeper job description clearly outlines the primary responsibilities and tasks of the bookkeeper job.
Certain bookkeeper duties will vary according to the individual needs of the company but the core functions of the bookkeeper job remain unchanged.
There is a high demand for good, accurate bookkeepers, they are key to
the essential operations of a business or institution. Job opportunities
in this field are ongoing.
Adapt this bookkeeping job description for your own use.
BOOKKEEPING JOB DESCRIPTION
Responsible for maintaining the financial records of a company by accurately recording the day to day financial transactions of the company.
Main Job Tasks and Responsibilities
- check and verify source documents such as invoices, receipts, computer printouts
- allocate and post financial transaction details to subsidiary books
- transfer data to general ledger
- reconcile and balance all accounts
- draw up financial statements (trial balance, income statement, balance sheet)
- collate and analyze account data and generate financial reports
- track and maintain inventory records
- maintain internal control systems
- manage accounts payable and accounts receivable
- prepare checks, payments and bank deposits
- prepare and process payroll
- comply with relevant reporting requirements
- calculate and prepare tax payments
- assist with budget preparation
- assist with audits
- maintain complete filing system to support financial records
Education and Experience
- knowledge of bookkeeping practices
- knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and procedures
- knowledge of relevant legislation and regulatory requirements
- working knowledge of relevant computer applications
- knowledge of data management and financial data analysis
- an associate degree in accounting, finance or business an advantage
- bookkeeping certification
- planning and organizing
- attention to detail
- information collection and monitoring
- problem analysis
- problem solving
- communication skills
Use these accountant job descriptions to get more job-related information.
Useful Bookkeeper Job Description Resources
Junior Accountant Job Description
Accounting Clerk Job Description
Accounts Receivable and Payable
Bookkeeper Job Description Template
Do you want to create an effective resume? The sample bookkeeper resume will help you with this.
Send a persuasive bookkeeper cover letter with your job application.
Need help with your bookkeeper job interview? Use the comprehensive guide to accounting interview questions and answers to prepare for success.
Latest Update - Bookkeeper Salary
reports that the average salary for US-based bookkeeper job postings on
the site is $17.00 per hour as of February 2018.
Job Interviews > Job Descriptions > Accounting Job Descriptions > Bookkeeper Job Description
Use the search box to find exactly what you are looking for.
To Top of Page