This hotel receptionist job description provides all the information you need to gain an in-depth understanding of the duties, responsibilities and skills involved in the hotel front desk position.
The hotel receptionist job is often referred to as a front desk agent. Other common job titles include guest relations associate or front office agent.
Regardless of the job title this hotel receptionist job description lists all the core duties and skill requirements for this position.
Welcome guests, check guests in and out of the hotel, deal with guest queries, provide prompt and professional guest service to meet guest needs and ensure guest satisfaction.
Main Job Duties and Responsibilities
- welcome and greet guests
- answer and direct incoming calls
- inform guests of hotel rates and services
- make and confirm reservations for guests
- ensure proper room allocation
- register and check guests in
- confirm relevant guest information
- verify guest's payment method
- verify and imprint credit cards for authorization
- issue room keys and direct guests to their rooms
- maintain clear and accurate records of guest room bookings
- compute all guest billings, accurately post charges to guest rooms and house accounts
- receive and transmit messages for guests
- retrieve mail, packages and documents such as faxes for guests
- listen and respond to guest queries and requests both in-person and by phone
- provide accurate information about local attractions and services
- liaise with necessary staff including housekeeping and maintenance to address any problems or complaints made by guests
- complete and maintain any incident reports, daily activity reports or other reports requested by management
- manage conference room bookings and scheduling
- close guest accounts and check guests out
- review accounts and charges with guests during the check-out process
- process accurate payment of guest accounts
- inform housekeeping when rooms have been vacated and are ready for cleaning
- monitor visitors to the hotel
- enforce rules and policies of the hotel
- maintain a neat and orderly front desk and reception area
Education, Skills and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent
- guest/customer relations experience, preferably in a hospitality environment
- strong working knowledge of relevant computer software including MS Office and booking and payment systems
- numeracy skills
- administrative skills
Key Competencies and Qualities
- customer service orientation
- attention to detail and accuracy
- planning and organizing
- ability to multitask and prioritize
- professional appearance and attitude
- effective verbal and written communication skills
- ability to handle stress and stay calm under pressure
- conflict resolution skills
- decision making and judgment skills
- team work
- flexible regarding work schedules
- ability to respond appropriately to diverse customers and guests
Adapt this hotel receptionist job description to meet your own needs.
Write a winning hotel receptionist resume.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a receptionist in an office?
This complete receptionist job description outlines the duties and responsibilities of a receptionist in an office setting.
A comprehensive list of typical receptionist duties.
and in other settings ...
Medical Receptionist Job DescriptionDental Receptionist Job Description
What skills are needed to be a hotel receptionist?
The top 5 skills identified for success in the hotel receptionist position include:
Communication Skills - able to listen, ask the right questions , understand what the guest is asking and provide the relevant information in a clear and confident manner.
Attention to Detail - able to ensure accuracy in all operations.
Customer Service Skills - strong customer service orientation including the ability to understand and meet the customer's needs while developing good guest relations.
Decision Making Skills - able to gather all the necessary information to make a sound decision based on facts and available resources.
Adaptability and flexibility- able to quickly adjust approach and activity to meet new demands, diverse guests, changing circumstances and new priorities.
Hotel Receptionist Job Description Pages
Your Hotel Receptionist Resume and Cover Letter
This excellent hotel receptionist resume example can easily be adapted for your own use.
Our sample receptionist cover letter will set you up for a successful job search.
This hotel receptionist job description will provide a comprehensive resource for developing your hotel receptionist resume.
Hotel Receptionist Interview Questions
These interview guides list the type of interview questions asked in a job interview for a hotel receptionist.
To Top of Page