Medical receptionist job description for use by front desk medical receptionists and medical office assistants.
The duties will vary slightly depending on the employment environment - doctor's office, clinic, healthcare practice or hospital. However the core responsibilities, duties and skill requirements of the medical receptionist job remain standard.
Tailor this sample job description to meet the requirements of your specific medical receptionist position.
MEDICAL RECEPTIONIST JOB DESCRIPTION
Attend to patients on the phone and in person. Coordinate and organize appointments and documentation to facilitate the smooth running of the healthcare environment and support delivery of quality patient care.
Main Job Duties and Responsibilities
- greet patients
- register patients according to established protocols
- assist patients to complete all necessary forms and documentation including medical insurance
- ensure patient information is accurate including billing information
- inform patients of medical office procedures and policy
- maintain and manage patient records
- move patients through appointments as scheduled
- answer incoming calls and deal with inquiries
- transfer calls as required
- schedule patient appointments
- collect co-pays and payments
- report statistics as required
- schedule hospital admissions, tests, scans and outside appointments for patients
- obtain external medical reports as required by medical professionals
- respond and comply to requests for information
- deal with incoming and outgoing post
- complete other clerical duties as assigned
- maintain stock of forms and office supplies
- ensure reception area is well maintained, neat and clean
- safeguard patient privacy and confidentiality
Education, Qualifications and Experience
- high school diploma
- knowledge of medical terminology, procedures and diagnosis
- knowledge of computer and relevant software applications
- knowledge of general administrative and clerical procedures
- working knowledge of healthcare insurance preferred
Key Competencies and Skills
- communication skills - able to listen effectively and express oneself in a clear and articulate manner
- information collection and management - able to collect, organize and monitor data efficiently
- planning and organizing - able to multi-task, prioritize and schedule tasks and activities
- attention to detail - able to produce accurate and high quality work through concern for all areas involved
- customer service skills - able to develop good customer relationships with a focus on achieving customer satisfaction
- adaptability - able to adjust approach to meet changing demands and situations including dealing with diverse people
- confidentiality - able to maintain confidentiality and adhere to ethical standards
View the general receptionist job description for further information and job details.
Complete List of Receptionist Duties
Medical receptionist job description pages
Dental Office Manager Job Description
Pharmacy Assistant Job Description
Medical Receptionist Job Description Template
Your medical receptionist job application
Medical receptionist job interviews
Receptionist Interview Questions
Common Interview Questions
Latest Update - What is the average medical receptionist salary?
reports that the average salary for job postings on the site for
US-based Medical Receptionist jobs is $15.00 per hour as of December 2020.
To Top of Page