Housekeeper duties will vary according to the working environment. We list specific housekeeping duties for different workplaces including a retirement community or living center, a medical or nursing facility, a hotel or hospitality environment and a domestic workplace.
The standard duties and skill requirements applicable to the majority of
housekeeper jobs are clearly detailed.
Here we list the housekeeping duties specific to a
number of different employment situations.
Housekeeper duties in a retirement community or living center
- maintain all assigned areas in a clean and sanitary condition
- wash, dust, polish, vacuum and sweep all areas of the
- clean sinks, tubs, showers and toilets according to prescribed sanitary
- polish fittings and fixtures
- clean mirrors and windows
- sort and wash laundry using machines or by hand as required
- iron, fold and distribute clean laundry
- empty and clean trash cans
- listen and respond to resident's queries and requests
- ensure adequate stock of cleaning supplies
- keep cleaning equipment in good working order
- maintain clean storage area for equipment and supplies
- observe and report any maintenance issues
- assist with meal preparation, serving and clean up
Housekeeper duties in a hospital, medical center or nursing home
- clean patient rooms, surgical areas, offices and waiting areas using
cleaning chemicals and disinfectants
- clean and sanitize floors, equipment and furniture according to
- operate various types of cleaning equipment
- handle and dispose of waste using standard procedures
- clean mattresses and beds according to established procedures
- collect dirty laundry from patient areas and place in designated
- distribute clean linen and hospital gowns
- maintain all cleaning equipment and supplies according to prescribed
- monitor inventory of supplies such as paper towels, soap, toilet paper
What are the duties of a housekeeper in a hotel?
This housekeeping job description clearly outlines the duties and responsibilities of a housekeeper employed in a hotel. The key skills and qualities required for successful job performance as a hotel housekeeper are also detailed.
Housekeeper job description for a hotel environment
What are the job duties of a housekeeper employed in a domestic or home environment?
You can find a detailed list of the duties for a housekeeper in a home or domestic setting at housekeeping job description.
Physical requirements for a housekeeper job
Most housekeeper jobs in a commercial environment involve demanding physical
tasks that require certain physical abilities including but not limited to:
- able to lift, push, pull and carry a minimum weight of approximately
- able to stand for long periods of time
- able to kneel, bend and crawl
- able to squat and crouch
- able to work in confined spaces
- able to tolerate exposure to dust and cleaning chemicals
Competency requirements for housekeepers
- able to listen and follow instructions
- effective communication skills
- able to work unsupervised
- able to maintain a professional manner at all times
- displays integrity and honesty
- maintains a positive attitude towards residents, guests, patients and
- demonstrates attention to detail and thoroughness
- able to follow and adhere to standard policies and procedures
Housekeeper duties in a domestic environment
Your housekeeper job search
Housekeeper Cover Letter
Sample Cover Letters
Housekeeper job interviews
Job Interview Questions
Job Interviews > Free Job Descriptions > Housekeeper
Use the search box to find exactly what you are looking for.
To Top of Page