Writing an entry level cover letter when you have little or no work experience can be a challenge.
Find out how to put together a job-winning cover letter that ensures you
stand out from the competition and opens the door to your first job. Use our entry level cover letter sample template to develop a cover letter that works for you.
Your cover letter is structured around these 6 essential components.
1. Start with your contact details at the top of your letter including your name, address and how to contact you (phone and email).
2. Address your letter to an individual and not to a generic " To whom it may concern" or "The Hiring Manager". Find out the name, correct spelling and job title of the person who is responsible for reviewing the job applications.
3. Write a compelling introductory paragraph that states the position you are applying for, your enthusiasm for the job and your conviction that you are the right job candidate.
4. The body of your cover letter is where you outline your qualifications, training, knowledge, skills and strengths as they relate to the job opportunity. As an entry level job candidate this is where you have an opportunity to highlight how you have the necessary credentials for the position even without direct work experience.
5. Your closing paragraph is your opportunity to reinforce your interest in the job and the company and to ask the employer to take action.
6. Sign off in a professional manner by thanking the employer for his or her time and ending with a standard salutation.
How to address your cover letter
Your Contact Details (phone and email)
Contact Job Title
Company City, State, Zip Code
Dear Mr/Mrs/Ms Last Name
Your cover letter introductory paragraph
In your cover letter introductory paragraph specify the position you are applying for, the employer may have a number of job vacancies. State your enthusiasm and your conviction that you are an excellent match for the job.
Your recent job posting for a .... caught my serious interest as a recent graduate from .... with a .... degree. I firmly believe my skills and qualifications provide me with the capabilities to successfully fulfill this position.
Your middle paragraphs
Highlight the skills, knowledge, achievements and qualifications that provide an excellent foundation for successful job performance. This is a concise summary of why you should be considered a serious candidate for the position.
The use of bullet points to match your skills to the job requirements shines the spotlight on your suitability.
In the attached resume you will find details of my education and credentials. Please allow me to highlight the key skills and strengths I would bring to the position and your organization:
Your closing paragraph
Close your cover letter strongly by restating your enthusiasm and interest in both the job and the company. Make it clear that you are serious about entering into a meaningful conversation which would be of benefit to both you and the organization.
As a passionate believer in ...., I have long admired the innovative approach to .... your company has demonstrated. The chance to further discuss this exciting opportunity with you would be a privilege and a pleasure. Please contact me on .... to arrange a convenient date and time for us to meet.
Thank you for your time and consideration
In order to focus on the relevant skills for the job opportunity it is essential to have a clear understanding of the role. Carefully consider the job description and find the keywords that identify what the employer wants.
Even if you have little or no work experience directly related to the job you can highlight relevant coursework, your achievements - academic and extra curricular, volunteer work, part-time jobs and those core competencies that are required for successful performance in most jobs.
Use these pages to help you with this:
Job descriptions for over 70 job types
Use these expert pages to write an entry level cover letter that gets you the interview.
Choose from this selection of over 50 sample cover letters.
A strong resume objective will ensure your entry level resume receives serious consideration. Find out how to write a convincing resume objective as an entry level job candidate with good examples at:
Find all the help you need with developing a professional and persuasive entry level resume with excellent examples.