Special Education Teacher
The special education teacher job description lists the duties and task
requirements for the position. This challenging and varied teaching job demands specific competencies and skills for successful job performance.
provide special education services to meet the requirements of moderate to severe
needs students who have a range of learning, emotional, physical and mental disabilities.
comprehensive job description provides a clear understanding of this job for
both employers and teaching job candidates.
Responsible for planning, developing, delivering and evaluating appropriate individualized educational services, learning programs and instruction for special
needs students in both self-contained and integrated settings in consultation
with other school personnel.
Main Job Tasks, Duties and Responsibilities
- identify the needs of assigned students through formal and informal
- review referral data, history and assessment data to develop appropriate
goals and objectives for each student
- confer with general education teachers regarding the educational,
social, emotional and physical needs and objectives of each student
- plan, develop and implement individualized learning plans for each
- design appropriate teaching strategies
- prepare instructional materials and lesson plans according to Individual
Educational Plans (IEPs)
- review IEPs with parents, school administrators and general education teachers
- utilize appropriate methods of learning delivery and instruction to meet
the needs of each student in the Least Restrictive Environment (LRE)
- monitor, evaluate and document each student's progress utilizing
appropriate measurements and assessment devices
- prepare timely progress reports for each student
- develop and implement necessary interventions and strategies to promote achievement
of student objectives
- collaborate and consult with general school personnel regarding the
implementation of the IEPs and special educational services
- modify and adapt conventional educational programs and curriculum to
meet the requirements of special needs students
- maintain regular communication with parents by means of email, phone
calls, conferences and progress reports
- assist parents with understanding and supporting educational objectives,
learning expectations and behavioral standards
- ensure adherence to reasonable rules of classroom discipline and order
to maintain a secure and effective learning environment
- manage student behavior through monitoring, supervising and assessing
- utilize appropriate corrective methods to modify behavior
- develop and implement Behavioral Intervention Plans (BIPs) where
- instruct students on socially acceptable behaviors and personal
- prepare special needs students for inclusion and transition to
- maintain accurate and complete records in compliance with
school district regulations and legal requirements
- maintain a current knowledge of special education best practices and
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelors degree in the appropriate field
- valid State teaching certification
- appropriate Special Education endorsements or licensure
- experience in diagnosing and assessing learning disorders
- experience in educating special needs students
- proven effective classroom and student behavior
- knowledge of current special education practices
- knowledge and understanding of State, local and
federal regulations and policies affecting special education
- working knowledge of educational technology applications
- organizational and planning skills
- collaboration and team work
- judgment and decision-making
- creative thinking
- conflict management and resolution
- appreciation of diversity
Find more information for your special education teacher job description at teacher job description.
Use the sample teacher resume to help you write your own convincing resume.
Send a persuasive teacher cover letter with your resume and job application.
Special Education Teacher Interviews
Are you preparing for an interview? These special education teacher interview questions will ensure that you know what to expect.
Sample interview questions with good interview answers at the teacher interview guide.
Best teacher interview tips to help you make the right impression in your job interview.
Special Education Teacher Job Description Pages
Adapt the special education teacher job description template for your own use.
This kindergarten teacher job description is another useful teaching job resource.
Teaching Assistant Job Description
Social Worker Job Description
Job Interviews > Free Job Descriptions > Teaching Job Descriptions > Special Education Teacher
Use the search box to find exactly what you are looking for.
To Top of Page