Teacher Job Description
Sample teacher job description clearly outlines the key tasks, activities and competencies common to most teaching jobs.
A teacher job will vary according to the school, the grade and the level
of the job. However most school teacher jobs contain elements of each
of these typical responsibilities including teaching, student management, administrative tasks and extracurricular activities.
Adapt this sample job description to meet the requirements of the teacher job you are specifying.
TEACHER JOB DESCRIPTION
To plan, organize and implement an appropriate instructional program in a learning environment that guides and encourages students to develop and fulfill their academic potential.
Main Job Tasks and Responsibilities
- plan, prepare and deliver instructional activities that facilitate active learning experiences
- develop schemes of work and lesson plans
- establish and communicate clear objectives for all learning activities
- prepare classroom for class activities
- provide a variety of learning materials and resources for use in educational activities
- identify and select different instructional resources and methods to meet students' varying needs
- instruct and monitor students in the use of learning materials and equipment
- use relevant technology to support instruction
- observe and evaluate student's performance and development
- assign and grade class work, homework, tests and assignments
- provide appropriate feedback on work
- encourage and monitor the progress of individual students
- maintain accurate and complete records of students' progress and development
- update all necessary records accurately and completely as required by law, district policies and school regulations
- prepare required reports on students and activities
- manage student behavior in the classroom by establishing and enforcing rules and procedures
- maintain discipline in accordance with the rules and disciplinary systems of the school
- apply appropriate disciplinary measures where necessary
- perform certain pastoral duties including student support, counseling students with academic problems and providing student encouragement
- participate in extracurricular activities such as social activities, sporting activities, clubs and student organizations
- participate in department and school meetings, parent meetings
- communicate necessary information regularly to students, colleagues and parents regarding student progress and student needs
- keep updated with developments in subject area, teaching resources and methods and make relevant changes to instructional plans and activities
Education and Experience
- Bachelors degree or higher from an accredited institution
- Meet professional teacher education requirements of school, district, state
- Single subject teaching credential or certification if teaching a specialized subject
- State certification
- Relevant teaching experience
- Knowledge of relevant technology
- self motivation
- high energy level
- verbal and written communication skills
- attention to detail
- high work standards
- problem solving
- decision making
- organizing and planning
- learning orientation
- critical thinking
- stress tolerance
- flexibility and adaptability
Use this teacher resume to develop a professional resume.
Entry Level Teacher Resume
Teaching Resume Objective
Winning teacher cover letter to send with your resume or teaching job application.
Teacher Job Description Resources
Kindergarten Teacher Job Description
Special Education Teacher Job Description
Art Teacher Job Description
Teaching Assistant Job Description
Librarian Job Description
Teacher Job Interviews
Teacher Interview Guide
Teacher Job Interview Questions
Special Education Teacher Interview
Elementary Teacher Interview Questions
Teacher interview tips to succeed in your teacher job interview.
Develop an impressive teacher portfolio
Teacher Job Resources
The teacher job description template will help you develop a practical job description.
Best Job Interview > Free Job Descriptions > Teaching Job Descriptions > General Teacher
Use the search box to find exactly what you are looking for.
To Top of Page