Job Interview Tips
Be well prepared for your nursing job interview and increase your chances of getting the nursing job you want.
This nurse interview guide provides practical advice to candidates on
how to answer nursing interview questions, the right questions to ask in
the interview and strategies for a successful interview.
The 5 Best Nursing Job Interview Tips
Interview tips and techniques to make the right impression in your nurse job interview.
1. Conduct background research on the employer
Familiarize yourself with the nursing employer before the interview. You want to discover all you can about the target nursing job. The knowledge you gain before you arrive for the interview will give you the confidence and skills to convince the employer that you are the best nursing candidate.
- Research the facility/hospital/unit and the nursing job in question. Learn more about their goals and values, their future plans and direction, the organizational structure, the demands of the job, the patient base.
- Use this information to prepare good answers to the nursing interview questions you can expect and to list some insightful questions to ask in your nursing job interview.
- If you're interviewing for a hospital job, research its financial status and economic stability. Is there potential for growth? Find out the the reputation of the hospital in the local community and the medical community.
- Various methods can be used to conduct this background research. You can simply "Google" the organization and note down relevant information.
- Ask people you know who have had some interaction with the employer. If possible you should visit the hospital or medical facility before your interview.
- You can observe for yourself and ask the nurses and health care staff questions about the patients, management and organization. This also gives you an idea of the type of employer you are interviewing with.
- Alternatively use social media to conduct research on the facility.
2. What should I bring to a nursing interview?
When you go to the nursing job interview take along the right documents including:
- extra copies of your resume
- your complete list of references
- your nursing license and qualifications
- any letters of recommendation you have
- your list of prepared questions to ask
- a pen and paper to write down any questions that occur to you during the interview and to take notes during the interview
3. Prepare good nursing job interview answers
You can expect the nursing job interview questions to explore a number of areas. These include:
- your training and qualifications
- your previous work experience
- general nurse interview questions
- the key competencies required for the nursing job
- your motivation for this nursing job
You can use the nurse interview questions and answers to be well prepared for any question that you have to handle.
4. Prepare a list of questions to ask the employer
a list of relevant questions to ask the employer. This will set you
apart as both prepared and professional. Avoid questions that can be
answered by conducting a little background research on the company.
Your questions should be insightful and reinforce your commitment and enthusiasm for a nursing career.
Use the excellent sample questions at nursing job interview questions to prepare your own list of questions to ask.
5. How should I dress for my nurse interview?
the appropriate interview clothing. You want to look professional and
make an excellent first impression. For a nursing job the safest option
is something business-like and formal.
- as a nurse it is important to
portray the image of a trusted and competent professional.
a pantsuit, dress or skirt with jacket teemed with low-heeled closed
shoes would be considered appropriate
- make sure all your interview
clothes are clean, well-pressed and tidy.
- attention to these sort of
details are essential for a nursing professional
Typical nursing job interview questions and answers
Be prepared for competency-based or behavioral interview questions in your nursing job interview. Get help with these type of nursing behavioral interview questions.
Prepare for standard interview questions.
Nursing is a growing profession with many job opportunities. Make sure you find the right one with these job search resources.
Your nursing job application
Job Interviews > Job Interview Guide > Nursing Job Interview
To Top of Page