Sample Cashier Job Description
Practical cashier job description for your own use.
Cashiers are employed in almost all stores and organizations where the purchase of goods and services is involved. Whether
it is a retail outlet or an entertainment venue cashiers are necessary
for the smooth handling of transactions.
This description clearly lists the key cashier skills and duties involved in the job. Responsibilities
will vary according to the work environment.
Select the relevant
information for your particular cashier position from this comprehensive
Accurately process sales and payments for goods/services and provide receipts to customers.
Main Job Tasks, Duties and Responsibilities
- greet and acknowledge each customer
- assist customers where possible
- provide answers to product and payment-related queries
- resolve customer complaints
- refer customers to the right person to answer queries and deal with any problems
- accurately process sales using cash registers, scanners or equipment
- provided to obtain total purchase amount
- accept cash, checks and bankcards for payment
- process payments according to company procedure
- provide change for cash payments
- issue receipts for payments received
- accurately calculate discounts and special offers
- stay up to date on all promotions and special offers
- issue refunds and credits
- process returns and exchanges
- redeem food stamps and coupons
- ensure sufficient change is available
- balance sales and receipts according to company procedure
- maintain accurate records of transactions
- bag, box and wrap merchandise
- may be required to assist in other areas such as shelf stocking, product display, pricing and clean-up
- maintain a neat, tidy and orderly work area
Education and Experience
- high school diploma preferable
- basic mathematical knowledge
- some experience dealing with money preferable
- ability to operate relevant electronic equipment -can be trained on the job
- product knowledge- can be trained on the job
Key Skills and Competencies
- communication skills
- information processing ability
- numeracy skills
- accuracy and attention to detail
- problem-solving skills
- strong customer service skills
- ability to work independently
- integrity and honesty
- manual dexterity
How do you describe a cashier on a resume?
Need help developing a job-winning resume? Use the cashier resume sample to create a convincing resume.
Find out how to write a cover letter using this sample cashier cover letter to send with your job application.
Cashier Resume Objective
What are the top skills for a cashier?
Employers have identified the following 5 skills that a cashier should have.
- communication skills including the ability to clearly express oneself and listen to and clarify customer needs
- attention to detail and accuracy including carefully checking all processes and tasks
- customer service skills including making every effort to meet the customer's needs
- integrity and honesty including maintaining ethical and organizational norms
- reliability including good timekeeping
Cashier Job Description Pages
Retail Sales Job Description
Latest Update - Cashier Salary
Indeed.com states that the average cashier salary for the site's job postings in the United States is $11.80 per hour as of January 2020.
Cashier Job Interviews
Bank Interview Questions
Customer Service Interview Questions
Retail Interview Questions
Job Interviews > Free Job Descriptions > Cashier Job
To Top of Page