Clerical Job Description
The clerical job description details the tasks and activities common to a
range of clerical jobs.
Clerical jobs are found in many different
employment environments but successful job performance typically
requires certain skills and abilities which are outlined in this job
A number of clerical jobs start off as an entry level position but often expand into a more complex career role with experience.
Adapt this sample job description to meet the requirements of your specific clerical position.
CLERICAL JOB DESCRIPTION
To provide administrative and clerical support to ensure the efficient operation of the department or office.
Main Job Tasks and Responsibilities
- answering and directing phone calls
- making phone calls
- taking and distributing messages
- organizing and scheduling appointments
- organizing and coordinating meetings
- handling inquiries and incoming work requests
- reviewing files and records to answer requests for information
- checking and distributing documents and correspondence
- receiving, sorting and distributing incoming mail
- maintaining filing systems
- compiling records of office activities
- photocopying, scanning and faxing
- sending emails
- preparing and sending outgoing mailings and packages
- typing documents and correspondence
- checking and entering data
- updating and maintaining databases
- coordinating work flow
- controlling basic accounting functions such as checking invoices and making deposits
- managing petty cash
- monitoring and ordering inventory of office supplies
- keeping office area neat and tidy
Education and Experience
- knowledge of relevant software applications including MS Office
- proficient in use of email and internet
- good numeracy skills
- accurate keyboard skills
- knowledge of office management systems and procedures
- knowledge of administrative procedures
- knowledge of basic accounting procedures
- high school diploma or equivalent
- organizational and planning
- time management skills and the ability to prioritize work
- data management
- attention to detail and accuracy
- customer service orientation
- team work
- communication skills - verbal and written
Need help with writing your resume? Go to the excellent sample clerical resume. Insert your own job information to develop a job-winning resume.
Clerical Job Description Resources
Receptionist Job Description
Accounting Clerk Job Description
Office Assistant Job Description
Data Entry Job Description
List of Administrative Duties
Clerical Job Description Template
Clerical Assistant Resume
Clerical Cover Letter
Office Assistant Resume
Data Entry Resume
Clerical Job Interview Resources
Clerical Interview Questions
Administrative Interview Questions
Latest Update - Clerical Assistant Salary
According to Indeed.com the average salary for Clerical job postings in the United States on the site is $12.27 per hour as of August 2017.
What do you enjoy most about the clerical assistant job?
These are some of the answers clerical employees provided.
"I enjoy the challenge of staying up to date with changing technology. I am expected to perform a wide range of tasks and each day is different."
"I know my department would be completely lost without my clerical help. I feel efficient and respected."
"I view it as a good starting point for a career in office administration. I am learning all the time and my goal is to become an office manager."
The clerical job description can be adapted for company-specific use.
Best Job Interview > Free Job Descriptions > Clerical Job
Use the search box to find exactly what you are looking for.
To Top of Page