Behavioral Interview Questions for Teachers
Interview questions for teachers explore the essential competencies and teacher skills needed for achieving effective performance and desired outcomes in any teaching job.
The core competencies identified as fundamental for teaching
professionals include planning and organizing, adaptability,
problem-solving, judgment, communication skills, resilience, high energy
levels and integrity.
Prepare for these situational and behavioral-based teaching interview questions and make
sure you are ready to successfully handle your teacher interview.
Behavioral Interview Questions for Teachers
Planning and Organizing
planning requires the ability to establish clear objectives and
priorities, schedule time, resources and activities effectively and
efficiently and carefully monitor progress and results.
- Describe your planning process for a new project or study unit.
- What methods do you use to monitor student progress?
- How have you incorporated technology into your lessons?
do you do when your teaching plan for the day is upset by unforeseen
circumstances? Give me an example of when this happened recently.
- What have you done in order to manage your time more effectively?
The STAR method and how to answer behavioral interview questions with sample behavioral interview answers.
questions for teachers will explore your ability to adapt and adjust
your approach to meet different task and situational requirements as
well as manage and value diversity in the classroom.
- How have you allowed for different learning styles when teaching a subject?
incorporate students with differing abilities. How have you met the
needs of students with both low and high abilities in a particular
- Describe a lesson where you had to use differentiated instruction.
- In what ways do you encourage students to be accepting of one another?
Problem-solving and judgment
a teacher you need to be able to detect problems and gather all the
necessary relevant information, consider all relevant facts and
information and consider all alternatives before deciding on the most
- How have you handled a student who was not completing his or her homework on a regular basis?
- How have you handled a conflict situation between two or more students?
- Describe a situation where a lesson clearly didn't work well. What did you do?
- Tell me about a time you had to make a tough decision about a student.
Resilience and tenacity
Can you handle disappointment and opposition while maintaining effectiveness?
- How have you handled situations when students appeared disinterested or bored in your lesson?
- How have you managed a situation where you felt you were losing control in the classroom?
- Describe a time you had to deal with angry complaints from a parent about your teaching methods.
- How have you responded when students have let you down?
- What has been one of the biggest obstacles you have had to overcome to reach your objectives as a teacher?
High energy levels
A teacher needs to maintain a high activity level without losing effectiveness.
- What extra curricular activities have you helped with?
- Tell me about a time you had to catch up on an accumulated backlog of work after a very busy period.
- What activities in your teaching day require the most effort?
Motivate and maximize performance
Successful teachers create a learning environment in which students want to and are able to achieve their potential.
They are able to identify strengths and opportunities for student
development. Expect scenario interview questions for teachers that include:
- What types of positive reinforcement have you used to encourage students?
- How have you supported under-performing students?
- What approach have you used to motivate students to actively participate in class?
- How do you encourage students to use their initiative in your classroom?
are expected to promote and maintain ethical and social norms within
the learning environment including maintaining confidentiality,
presenting truthful information and adhering to school policies and
regulations. They also need to display honest insight into themselves.
- How have you dealt with situations where students have confided important information in you?
- How have you reacted when students have broken the rules in your class?
- Which subject do you believe is your strength and what do you consider your weakest?
List of Strengths and Weaknesses
- What are your strengths and weaknesses as a teacher?
requires active and attentive listening skills, the ability to express
ideas effectively and present information effectively. Teachers should
adjust language and terminology to meet the needs of the students.
Expect these sort of situational interview questions for teachers.
- Give me an example of when you had to present complex information to your class. How did you make sure they understood?
- How have you encouraged students to contribute their ideas and opinions in the classroom?
- Tell me about a situation when you had to persuade a student, colleague or parent of your point of view.
- What steps do you take to try and establish rapport with your students?
me about a situation when you had to be especially sensitive in
communicating negative information to a parent or student. How did you
go about doing this?
Initiative and innovation
behavioral interview questions explore your ability to be proactive in generating ideas and
activities for improvement and finding creative solutions to problems
- Describe some innovative teaching techniques you have used.
- Some students finish their work sooner than others. How do you deal with the free time they have?
- What curriculum materials have you recently developed?
- What improvements did you make to the physical appearance and layout of your classroom?
- What effective methods have you used for classroom management?
Common Teacher Interview Questions and Answers
How do you handle discipline in the classroom?
Why do you want to teach here?
Interview questions for teachers ..
Special Education Teacher Interview Questions
Elementary Teacher Interview QuestionsTeaching Assistant Interview Questions
How do I prepare for a teacher interview?
What questions should I ask in my teacher interview?
Be ready with smart questions to ask in your interview. Teacher Interview questions to ask
Follow up properly after your interview with this teacher interview thank you letter
Your teaching job application
Teacher Job Descriptions
Teacher Cover Letter
To Top of Page