Retail Sales Job Description
Retail sales job description for easy reference. Retail sales jobs can involve a broad spectrum of duties and activities depending on the product, service and merchandise offered by the employer.
The job description clearly outlines the common tasks and activities
of a retail sales job and provides a description of the skills,
knowledge and key competencies required in the job.
Revise this job description example to match the requirements of your specific retail position.
To assist customers in finding and purchasing the required merchandise in a retail environment. To encourage customers to purchase products.
Main Job Tasks and Responsibilities
- greet customers
- find out the customer's needs
- recommend, select and help locate the right merchandise
- describe a product's features and benefits
- demonstrate use and operation of the product
- answer customer queries regarding the store and the merchandise
- make suggestions and encourage purchase of products
- provide information about warranties, manufacturing specifications, care and maintenance of merchandise and delivery options
- provide information about financing available
- receive and process cash, check and charge/credit payments
- provide change and receipts
- bag or package purchases
- gift wrap merchandise
- count money, sort charge slips and balance monies
- maintain sales records
- place special orders
- organize and process merchandise exchanges
- process repair or alteration of merchandise
- stay current with sales prices
- recognize and monitor security issues
- arrange and display merchandise
- keep merchandise area tidy
- take stock inventory
- requisition new stock
Education and Experience
- high school diploma or equivalent preferred
- knowledge of customer service principles and processes
- knowledge of sales principles
- relevant product knowledge and training
- experience in a retail, customer service or sales environment
- basic business administration knowledge
- good communication skills
- customer service orientation
- stress tolerance
- high energy level
Do you want to create a winning resume? Use the sample retail sales resume to help you.
Always include a retail cover letter with your job application.
Sales Associate Resume Objective
Send a persuasive cover letter with your resume. Use this basic cover letter as a guide.
Are you preparing for a retail sales job interview? These retail job interview questions with answer guidelines will set you up for success.
Retail Sales Job Description Pages
Sales Job Descriptions
Customer Service Job Description
Cashier Job Description
Retail Sales Job Description Template
Retail Sales Resumes
Retail Sales Sample Resume
Retail Sales Resume Objectives
Retail Sales Cover Letter
Retail Sales Interviews
Sales Interview Questions
Customer Service Interview Questions
Latest Update - Retail Sales Salary
Payscale.com reports the average salary for Retail Sales Associate job postings in the United States is $10 per hour as of June 2017.
Job Interviews > Sample Job Descriptions > Retail Sales
To Top of Page