Office Assistant Job Description
The office assistant job description clearly lays out the tasks and responsibilities for the office assistant job. Find out what competencies are needed for successful job performance in this position.
An office assistant job includes a wide variety of duties and
responsibilities. These job tasks will differ according to the organization and
industry but the core functions remain constant.
Select the office assistant activities and requirements that reflect the office assistant position you are specifying and create a comprehensive job description.
OFFICE ASSISTANT JOB DESCRIPTION
Provides administrative, secretarial and clerical support to others in the office to maintain an efficient office environment.
Main Job Tasks and Responsibilities
- answer phones and transfer to the appropriate staff member
- take and distribute accurate messages
- greet public and clients and direct them to the correct staff member
- coordinate messenger and courier service
- receive, sort and distribute incoming mail
- monitor incoming emails and answer or forward as required
- prepare outgoing mail for distribution
- fax, scan and copy documents
- maintain office filing and storage systems
- update and maintain databases such as mailing lists, contact lists and client information
- retrieve information when requested
- update and maintain internal staff contact lists
- co-ordinate and maintain staff administrative records such as staff parking, staff phones and company credit cards
- type documents, reports and correspondence
- organize travel arrangements for staff
- co-ordinate and organize appointments and meetings
- assist with event planning and implementation
- monitor and maintain office supplies
- ensure office equipment is properly maintained and serviced
- perform work related errands as requested such as going to the post office and bank
- keep office area clean and tidy
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- business college training an advantage
- previous office experience may be requested but this can also be entry level position
- competent computer skills including MS Office or equivalent
- internet skills including use of e-mails, group messaging and data collection
- numeracy and literacy skills
- organization and planning skills
- work management and prioritizing skills
- verbal and written communication skills
- problem solving ability
- attention to detail
Do you want to create a winning resume? Use these free resume samples to help you.
Office Assistant Resume
Office Assistant Cover Letter
Administrative Assistant Resume
Preparing for a job interview? Use these excellent interview resources to be ready for your office assistant job interview.
Clerical Interview Questions
Administrative Assistant Interview Questions
Office Assistant Job Description Resources
Administrative Assistant Job Description
Clerical Job Description
Sample Administrative Job Descriptions
Office Assistant Job Description Template
Latest Update - Office Assistant Salary
Payscale.com reports that the average salary for Office Assistant jobs in the USA is $12.55 per hour as of February 2017.
Job Interviews > Sample Job Descriptions > Office Assistant
To Top of Page