Kindergarten teacher job description to adapt for your own use. Practical description of the tasks, responsibilities and competencies required for successful job performance as a kindergarten teacher.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics states that employment of kindergarten teachers is projected to grow by 12% from 2012 to 2020. Growth will result from increased enrollment numbers and an expected decline in student-teacher ratios. However the demand for kindergarten teachers will vary by state and region.
Revise this job description sample to meet the needs of your particular kindergarten teaching job.
Teach basic skills including letters, numbers, elemental natural and social
science, music, art, literature and behavioral skills to children in the
kindergarten phase to advance their physical, mental, and social development and
maximize their potential in a positive and safe environment.
Main Job Tasks and Responsibilities
- plan a program that helps each student achieve learning objectives and
- prepare lesson materials and resources
- select and use instructional methods and materials appropriate to the
students and learning activities
- utilize games, music, books, art, technology and other resources to
teach basic skills and foster student development
- adapt standard teaching methods to meet different student needs and
- create a positive and appropriate classroom environment that is
conducive to learning
- develop and implement a suitable classroom management system.
- establish and effect rules for acceptable behavior
- apply and follow up on approved disciplinary interventions
- make referrals for assistance where necessary
- instruct children on personal hygiene practices and self care
- encourage cooperative social behavior through games and activities
- observe, evaluate and record children's social and academic progress
- provide constructive feedback to parents, guardians and administration
- prepare and distribute written reports
- plan and order classroom equipment and supplies
- ensure equipment and facilities are clean and safe
- collaborate with other staff members to promote the general health of
- perform required administrative duties including attending staff
- uphold the school code of conduct and all school policies, rules and
procedures in a supportive and positive manner
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in elementary education or equivalent
- certification or license as required by relevant State
- First Aid and CPR certifications an advantage
- previous teaching experience preferred
- understanding and proficiency in relevant technology
- knowledge of current educational and instructional methodologies and
- knowledge of theories and practices of early child development
- knowledge of State, local and Federal regulations that apply to students
- communication skills
- planning and organizing
- problem-solving skills
- patience and stress tolerance
- adaptability and flexibility
- team member
Use this kindergarten teacher job description to draft a comprehensive and practical job description for your teaching position.
Useful Teacher Job Resources
Teacher Job Description
Special Education Teacher Job Description
Kindergarten Teacher Job Description Template
Use the kindergarten teacher resume sample to create your own job-winning resume.
Sample Teacher Resume
Include a well written teacher cover letter with your resume and job application.
Elementary Teacher Interview Questions
Preschool Teacher Interview Questions
Teacher Interview Guide
Teacher Interview Questions and Answers
Find out about assembling your teacher portfolio
Job Interviews > Free Job Descriptions > Teaching Job Descriptions > Kindergarten Teacher
To Top of Page